Re: academics and employment

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>

I do think that we should have the right to use the screen reader of our choice on a job.  No imployer should have a right to tell us what screen reader we will use.   We may have to use both jaws and nvda to be as productive as we possible as we can be.  I do prefer nvda when I had jaws 10 I did not care for it as much as I do nvda.  My friend prefers jaws to nvda but he will use nvda when it does things that jaws doesn't read.  It seems that if we ever say anything like this needs to be improved we are being critical and that we don't appreciate the work that is done for us.  Thats just not true at all we are not bashing in anyway but in everything there is always room for improving but if we dare to state this then we get bashed on lists.  There is nothing wrong with using both jaws and nvda just like there is nothing wrong with using more than one internet brouser.  We use what ever works when we need it and that may change over time so it's good to be very flexable and be willing to conciter all of your options.  A jaws user may conciter using nvda and a nvda user might conciter using jaws when it might be necessary to do so.  This does not mean that you are changing your screen reader you are just using annother tool to get the job doneand thats all it is.  some people seem to make it sound like the oposite screen reader of theirs is almost usless because it is not the one they use.  If either really was almost usless it might be arround.  I know that of basic pc users just can't justify the high price of jaws but that does not mean that they don't think that jaws ins is a bad screen reader they just don't need all of the bells and whistles of jaws.  The fact that we can't make payments on jaws is a big deal breaker for many blind people and nvda is free.  They also feel after nvda is free so if it does not read everything it's free anyway so I will read what I can and I won't wory about what I can't read.

Brian Sackrider

On 8/18/2018 1:28 AM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Chris,

Yes, it appears from what I read that Gene prefers Jaws over NVDA. We all
have the right to our own opinions. We should be able to agree to disagree.
After all, that's what life is all about--differing viewpoints. I used Jaws
for years and both Jaws and NVDA are great programs. NVDA serves my needs
very well.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris
Shook
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 8:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] academics and employment

THis really has nothing to do with the current conversation, but I have to
ask.
Since when did human society degrade to such a point that people cannot have
different viewpoints on issues.
I happen to agree with Michael that I do like NVDA better than JAWS.
THat is not to say JAWS is a bad product. I just prefer NVDA over JAWS.
Jean, it appears that you prefer JAWS over NVDA. That's cool to. Can't we
just agree to disagree?"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.