Re: academics and employment

brian <sackriderbrian45@...>

    Gene this law does need to be changed we should have the right to use the screen reader that will be the most effective for us on a job we should not have to learn a new screen reader just they want to dictate to us what screen reader we will use.  If nvda is more effective for us than jaws then we should have the right to use it under the ada law.  You and I will have to agree to disagree on this issue. No imployer should ever have the right to tell what screen reader we will use.

Brian Sackrider

On 8/23/2018 12:10 AM, Gene wrote:
Perhaps you should have the option to make a case for the screen-reader you want but not everything in life that flows from having a disability confers a right.  The employer has the right under law to accommodate disabled workers as he/she sees fit if the accomodation is effective.  The law will never give the employee the right to dictate to an employer how he runs his business.

From: brian
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] academics and employment

    I do think that we should have the right to use the screen reader
of our choice on a job.  No imployer should have a right to tell us what
screen reader we will use.   We may have to use both jaws and nvda to be
as productive as we possible as we can be.  I do prefer nvda when I had
jaws 10 I did not care for it as much as I do nvda.  My friend prefers
jaws to nvda but he will use nvda when it does things that jaws doesn't
read.  It seems that if we ever say anything like this needs to be
improved we are being critical and that we don't appreciate the work
that is done for us.  Thats just not true at all we are not bashing in
anyway but in everything there is always room for improving but if we
dare to state this then we get bashed on lists.  There is nothing wrong
with using both jaws and nvda just like there is nothing wrong with
using more than one internet brouser.  We use what ever works when we
need it and that may change over time so it's good to be very flexable
and be willing to conciter all of your options.  A jaws user may
conciter using nvda and a nvda user might conciter using jaws when it
might be necessary to do so.  This does not mean that you are changing
your screen reader you are just using annother tool to get the job
doneand thats all it is.  some people seem to make it sound like the
oposite screen reader of theirs is almost usless because it is not the
one they use.  If either really was almost usless it might be arround.
I know that of basic pc users just can't justify the high price of jaws
but that does not mean that they don't think that jaws ins is a bad
screen reader they just don't need all of the bells and whistles of
jaws.  The fact that we can't make payments on jaws is a big deal
breaker for many blind people and nvda is free.  They also feel after
nvda is free so if it does not read everything it's free anyway so I
will read what I can and I won't wory about what I can't read.

Brian Sackrider