Re: regular expression and speech dic

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 01:52 PM, JM Casey wrote:
I’m really interested in learning and mastering this [regular expressions] myself.
Good luck with that!!    And I say that both sincerely and with a huge dose of snark, because almost everyone who delves into regular expression syntax comes to believe, and very quickly, that mastery in any conventional sense of the word is unattainable!    You can become incredibly proficient and know more than anyone else you know, and there's still more you don't know.

I would love to know what perverse genius first thought up the concept of regular expressions, which come as close as any formal pattern matching syntax I've seen to being able to be "almost human" in the way alternatives in the original text can all be recognized, but those regular expressions are often nightmarish to look at and understand.

           ~ Richard Dehmel