Re: academics and employment

Antony Stone

Imagine a non-blind person applying for, and getting, a job.

That person is expected to use the tools the employer provides, and to do the
job the way the employer dictates, even if the employee knows there might be
better tools or a better way.

If the employee wants to do things a different way, they're welcome to find a
different employer who thinks the same.

Blind employees have no more right to dictate the way the employer wants to
run their business than sighted employees. So long as the employer makes
sufficient provision that the blind person is *able* to do the job, that's
exactly the same as providing the sighted employee with tools that *work*,
even if they're not the best or most efficient tools.

Legislation aims to ensure that disabled people get the same chances as non-
disabled. Neither of those has to be the best way of doing things.

Antony.

On Thursday 23 August 2018 at 23:31:42, brian wrote:

Gene this law does need to be changed we should have the right to
use the screen reader that will be the most effective for us on a job we
should not have to learn a new screen reader just they want to dictate
to us what screen reader we will use. If nvda is more effective for us
than jaws then we should have the right to use it under the ada law.
You and I will have to agree to disagree on this issue. No imployer
should ever have the right to tell what screen reader we will use.

Brian Sackrider

On 8/23/2018 12:10 AM, Gene wrote:
Perhaps you should have the option to make a case for the
screen-reader you want but not everything in life that flows from
having a disability confers a right. The employer has the right under
law to accommodate disabled workers as he/she sees fit if the
accomodation is effective. The law will never give the employee the
right to dictate to an employer how he runs his business.