Re: Moving over to/focusing on web-page contents after having loaded a page in google chrome

Chris Mullins

Chrome maintains settings for a start-up page and a home page.  Access the settings from the Chrome menu by pressing alt followed by space followed by s.    On opening, the Settings tab has focus in a search edit box.   Ensure you are not in Forms/Focus mode and use the d key to move to the Landmark at the bottom of the page.  Here you will find a link to ‘Show Advanced Settings’, press enter on this to open up                     the whole settings page.  Press Control+Home to move to the top of the page, then use h and shift+h to explore the sections of the Chrome.Settings page. The sections where web page processing parameters are maintained are detailed below.

‘On Start-up’ section

Please note this section is not used to set the HomePage.

This section is used to determine what pages are displayed When Chrome first starts up.

You have a choice of 3 radio buttons, which determine if either a new web page tab is displayed, the pages open when you last used Chrome are displayed or 1 or more specified web pages are displayed.  For the latter option, use the ‘Set Pages’ link to open a dialog in which the start-up URL’s can be typed into an edit box.  I find the easiest way to do this is to open up the required start-up pages in the browser then activate the ‘Use current pages’ button in this dialog.  This will populate the edit box with the URL’s for you.  Activate the OK button to save the settings and exit the dialog, or Cancel to exit without saving.

‘Appearance’ section

The Appearance section is where the HomePage is defined.

Navigate to the ‘Show Home’ checkbox and check it.

Checking this box does 2 things.  Firstly, it makes a link available which opens a dialog for you to specify the URL of a HomePage and secondly, it puts a ‘Home’ icon in the Navigation bar at the top of the page.

The default HomePage behaviour of Chrome is to display the same as you would see if you opened a new tab.  To specify a particular URL as your HomePage, tab to the ‘Change’ link and press enter. Activate the ‘open this page:’ radio button, then tab to the edit box and enter the desired URL of your new HomePage. Finally, activate the OK button to save the settings and exit the dialog, or Cancel to exit without saving.

Now you have a HomePage which will be loaded into the currently displayed web page tab whenever you activate the ‘Home’ button in the Navigation bar or use the keyboard shortcut alt+Home.

Cheers

Chris