Re: Moving over to/focusing on web-page contents after having loaded a page in google chrome

Chris Mullins

Chrome maintains settings for a start-up page and a home page.  Access the settings from the Chrome menu by pressing alt followed by space followed by s.    On opening, the Settings tab has focus in a search edit box.   Ensure you are not in Forms/Focus mode and use the d key to move to the Landmark at the bottom of the page.  Here you will find a link to ‘Show Advanced Settings’, press enter on this to open up                     the whole settings page.  Press Control+Home to move to the top of the page, then use h and shift+h to explore the sections of the Chrome.Settings page. The sections where web page processing parameters are maintained are detailed below.     

‘On Start-up’ section

Please note this section is not used to set the HomePage.

This section is used to determine what pages are displayed When Chrome first starts up.

You have a choice of 3 radio buttons, which determine if either a new web page tab is displayed, the pages open when you last used Chrome are displayed or 1 or more specified web pages are displayed.  For the latter option, use the ‘Set Pages’ link to open a dialog in which the start-up URL’s can be typed into an edit box.  I find the easiest way to do this is to open up the required start-up pages in the browser then activate the ‘Use current pages’ button in this dialog.  This will populate the edit box with the URL’s for you.  Activate the OK button to save the settings and exit the dialog, or Cancel to exit without saving.    

‘Appearance’ section

The Appearance section is where the HomePage is defined.

Navigate to the ‘Show Home’ checkbox and check it.

Checking this box does 2 things.  Firstly, it makes a link available which opens a dialog for you to specify the URL of a HomePage and secondly, it puts a ‘Home’ icon in the Navigation bar at the top of the page. 

The default HomePage behaviour of Chrome is to display the same as you would see if you opened a new tab.  To specify a particular URL as your HomePage, tab to the ‘Change’ link and press enter. Activate the ‘open this page:’ radio button, then tab to the edit box and enter the desired URL of your new HomePage. Finally, activate the OK button to save the settings and exit the dialog, or Cancel to exit without saving.

Now you have a HomePage which will be loaded into the currently displayed web page tab whenever you activate the ‘Home’ button in the Navigation bar or use the keyboard shortcut alt+Home.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: 26 May 2016 01:41
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Moving over to/focusing on web-page contents after having loaded a page in google chrome

Hi

Out of curiosity have you set a home page for it to load first? I noticed when there was none, it would not focus properly on the content, but when the web page was set it seems to work ok.

I think it is set to a new tab when you first open google chrome.

If I remember right with tab browsing you use the CTRL key + the numbers from 1 to 9 depending on the pages that were opened. I like it better as normal web pages.

Gene nz

On 26/05/2016 12:24 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

The problem is that I will, for example, open a new tab, or focus on address entry field, type in an address, and hit enter, and while window title tells me page has finished loading,tabbing around, using combinations of F6, shift+F6, etc. etc. don't ever focus on page's actual contents.

At times, however, focus will automatically have switched over to page contents, and, if I load a page from a bookmark, it also seems to do that pretty much every time.

Like said, biggest issue is inconsistency - as in, want to search for something, and would, honestly be quicker to just type in address for google.com rather than look for it in bookmarks, or else, I copy an address from an e-mail, or text file, and want to jut paste it into the address bar, but, then can't seem to get it to focus on the page contents.

This is on a windows 10 64 bit machine, using NVDA 2016.1, but, not sure either of those are relevant.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

----- Original Message -----

Sent: 26 May, 2016 2:00 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Moving over to/focusing on web-page contents after having loaded a page in google chrome

I'm not sure what you are describing.  When I use Chrome, which I don't use for regular browsing, Often all I see is the title bar with the name of the web page.  I may be able to get the page to display by opening and then closing a new tab.  I may have to completely reload the page.  I'm not sure if that is the problem you are describing.  I don't know how many people have this problem.  But I do and it is one reason I wouldn't consider using Chrome as my main browser. 

Other reasons are how many things display as a web page.  It is far more convenient to have such things display as lists or dialogs.  Even Firefox, which has made things in the options dialog function like a web page, still has the items organized as lists you can arrow down. 

Also, it appears to me that lots of menu items don't have shortcuts as has been standard in Windows programs for years.  I haven't found a short cut combination for something as important as book marks.  And I've seen other menu items with no short cuts.  This sort of thing after all these years of Google working on making chrome accessible are singularly unimpressive.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

GeneFrom: Jacob Kruger

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:46 PM

Subject: [nvda] Moving over to/focusing on web-page contents after having loaded a page in google chrome

While in things like IE, and firefox, you could generally jump to/focus on actual webpage content using something like tab, or shift + tab keystrokes, or else ctrl + F6, it seems like chrome is somewhat inconsistent in that after I type a URL into it's address bar, at times, I can't too easily get NVDA to then actually switch over to interacting with the actual web page contents?

Is there some standard method/means to get this to happen that I'm missing, due to being too used to other browsers?

Ask since am sort of considering switching over to chrome as my primary web-browser, but, if this inconsistency carries on, then it's a no-go, since it's quite irritating...LOL!

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

-- 
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.