Re: webpage shortcuts using Firefox

ely.r@...

If you look at the shortcut properties , is the URL there? Does the shortcut work if you use the “open” from the context menu?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 12:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] webpage shortcuts using Firefox

Hi,

The only difference with deselecting is that the “new” is further down the context menu if it is not deselected.

But yes, the icon will be on the desktop with whatever name you give it.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] webpage shortcuts using Firefox

Glen,

I am running Windows 10 and Firefox, and use much the same process as you. I had always deselected whatever item was the default selected before creating the new shortcut. I thought that was likely the different. However I tried your step by step without the deselect and it worked fine. When you finish your process, is there a new Icon with the correct name on your desktop?

Guess this was not of much help.

Rick

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] webpage shortcuts using firefox

I don’t know why the way I do it in Windows 7 won’t work.

I go to the page, and go to the address field, with alt + D.

Then I do the copy command, control + C, it’s already highlighted.

Then I go to the desktop and I usually unselect whatever is there, but I don’t think this is necessary, with control + space bar.

Then I tap the applications key and arrow to new and open that and enter on shortcut.

Then I paste the URL I copied before, with control + V.

Then I enter and give it a name and I’m done.

It took a lot longer to write this out than this procedure takes.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] webpage shortcuts using firefox

The default method is drag and drop, which is not particularly convenient for screen reader users.

See this article on intowindows.com entitled, How To Create Website Shortcut On Desktop In Windows 10, which gives you alternative methods for creating desktop shortcuts to websites that are applicable no matter what web browser you're using.

If your default web browser is something other than Internet Explorer (and it should be) you can still use the trick of using IE just to create the desktop shortcut from the webpage currently visible.  The shortcut on the desktop will open in whatever your chosen default web browser happens to be, as what's created is nothing more than a shortcut to a web page and those are always opened by the default web browser you've chosen.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A little kindness from person to person is better than a vast love for all humankind.

~ Richard Dehmel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.