From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 5:17 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES

Several years ago, there was a bug in some mp3 players that would allow malformed headers to trigger some code execution. That was a result of the players, and the way they handled the mp3 headers, not the mp3 format itself. As far as I know, all those players have been patched, so that particular bug is no longer present Since mp3 files contain no executable code, it's extremely unlikely that anyone could receive a virus from one, since there's nothing in an mp3 file that is treated as executable code, and you have to have executable code for viruses to exist/spread, so I'd have to agree on this one that downloading mp3 files by themselves poses zero threat to anyone.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Hope Williamson via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube
itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're
using to download/convert the video to mp3 format.

On 8/24/2018 7:25 PM, Gene wrote:
You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading
from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that
matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really
doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the
site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really
doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.