From: Travis Siegel
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2018 3:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] downloding MP3 FILES

Several years ago, there was a bug in some mp3 players that would allow
malformed headers to trigger some code execution.  That was a result of
the players, and the way they handled the mp3 headers, not the mp3 format
itself.  As far as I know, all those players have been patched, so that
particular bug is no longer present
Since mp3 files contain no executable code, it's extremely unlikely that
anyone could receive a virus from one, since there's nothing in an mp3
file that is treated as executable code, and you have to have executable
code for viruses to exist/spread, so I'd have to agree on this one that
downloading mp3 files by themselves poses zero threat to anyone.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Hope Williamson via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi, it's probably not possible to get a virus downloading from Youtube
itself. It may be possible though, depending on the converter you're using
to download/convert the video to mp3 format.
On 8/24/2018 7:25 PM, Gene wrote:
       You said it is possible to get a virus or malware downloading
       from Youtube.  Do you mean possible or impossible?  For that
       matter, if you would be infected by downloading, which I really
       doubt, why couldn't you be infected by playing the file from the
       site?  For reasons I stated in my previous message, I really
       doubt you can be infected by downloading from Youtube.