Re: Can't select words using latest stable versions Firefox, NVDA

Kwork

Hey, Jackie, I certainly hear you. I was using a few legacy add-ons when we all needed to upgrade to FF Quantum, so there was a bit of virtual kicking and screaming as I made the transition. I ultimately determined that security was worth the price.

There is certainly pain with losing a favorite add-on though.

Travis

On 8/28/2018 5:01 PM, Jackie wrote:
Hey Travis, I'd forgotten about portable ff! Thanks for the reminder!
Indeed, that worked. So I decided to paw thru what few FF addons I had
installed, & of course it had to be my favorite screen capture tool!
@#$%! So something in the last update of ff proved incompatible
w/Nimbus Screen Capture. O, well--I can just as easily use Screen
Grab, I guess. I sure hate it like bloody double-hockey-stick when
that happens, though. Man all these addons can really cause problems
when they want to!

Thanks again for the reminder about portable ff. & editing w/ff will
be a lot easier again. That's particularly true as I use GMail on the
web & not an email client. That was getting tedious, & past time to
get fixed.

On 8/28/18, Kwork <istherelife@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jackie,

Here's one thing I thought of trying. This should tell us if your
Firefox update might have corrupted things somehow.

Grab the portable version of Firefox:

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It's version 62.0.2, the latest right now, and choose where you want it
on your computer.

When done, open it up and see if you can select text normally, or if
you're still having trouble. If things are normal, your desktop
installation may have corrupted, and you might have to uninstall and
reinstall Firefox. If things are still not working properly with the
portable edition, you may have to do the same uninstalling/reinstalling,
but this time with NVDA.

Another idea is to disable all NVDA and/or Firefox add-ons and
extensions and see if something there may be causing troubles. If things
work after that, try enabling things one at a time, and one of them will
likely break Firefox selection for you, but you'll know what the culprit
is this time.

Hopefully something will work.

I just tested things again with NVDA 2018.2, Windows 10 and Firefox
61.0.2, both 64-bit, and all worked as expected.

Good luck,

Travis

On 8/28/2018 3:39 PM, Jackie wrote:
Unfortunately, it's been doing this since I updated sometime last
week, ie, it's been restarted multiple times since.

On 8/28/18, Kwork <istherelife@gmail.com> wrote:
Try restarting NVDA. I did have that work one time when the normal
selection methods seemed to be broken. No guarantees, but worth a try at
least I think. Pressing ctrl+alt+n will automatically close and restart
NVDA.

Travis

On 8/28/2018 3:22 PM, Jackie wrote:
Well, it works when a whole line is selected, but not word by word.

On 8/28/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi

it is not happening on my version of fire fox and it is the latest
version 61 some thing  a rather. It is selecting what I want and i
hear
it say the word then selecting or is it selected all the line i want
then copy it.

So no problems but I am using a 32 bit version of fire fox but do not
think that would  just because you have a 64 bit version it would do
it.

Gene nz

On 8/29/2018 9:43 AM, Jackie wrote:
Using Firefox version 61.0.2 (64-bit), when I press control shift
right arrow, words are no longer selected. Anyone else notice this?