From: Annette Moore <angelgirl52376@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] reading mail in outlook 365

Reading line by line is just a personal preference for me. It's what I've always done, and I feel I take in and retain information better if it's not all coming at me at once. with that said, though, if I'm in a particular hurry, I will read with say-all. Sure, I know I could just hit the control key and shut it up and go back if I need to, but reading line by line is just always for the most part what I've done.

Annette

Since this is the second email in a row to ask a similar question, I'm curious, why do people read pieces of text that may be long, using the arrow keys rather than Say All (NVDA+down arrow or NVDA+a depending on your setup)?

Note that I'm not saying you SHOULD do it one way or the other, just wanting a better understanding of why people do things the way they do.  For me, I use Say All with a finger ready on SHIFT to pause speech as needed.

You can force Outlook to open emails as plain text rather than HTML (File menu, options, Trust centre, Email security, read all standard email in plain text), however, that displays links to external images as links and reads out the full link of each, rather than the HTML view which simply denotes "graphic".

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

I decided to try my hand with Outlook 365. I liked it, overall. However, emails with NVDA and Outlook 365 didn't read as well as they do with Thunderbird and NVDA. For example, it appears that using arrow keys in some emails in Outlook 365 is not a great solution. All you see is blank lines and graphics, whereas you see links and a fairly compact view in Thunderbird. The tab key doesn't change this in any way, shape or form.

Has anyone else seen this, and if you have, does anyone have a solution? For me, using Outlook 365 won't work unless I can get around these issues. I'm using the latest version of NVDA alpha. Any help with this one is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess