Re: problem with the blind mice mart site and nvda

Jackie

I can remember when there was no such thing as a virtual buffer or
browse mode or whatever the various flavors of screen readers wish to
call it. It was a nightmare! I think Dr. Rick has it right--we have
tools in the toolbox for a reason. To say a site is completely
inaccessible when all a person wants to use is a screwdriver but they
have a hammer & a wrench & pliers at their disposal, is inaccurate at
best & libelous at worst. I have no affiliations whatever w/Blind
Mice. None, nada, zip. But I do know Dale Campbell a little & I do
remember when he had that site built. It was maybe 4 years ago? I
remember he was having quite a bit of trouble then, &, although I
don't know how much it cost, it had to have set him back a pretty
penny. Small businesses cannot afford that every year or even every
couple years, for that matter. They're also rather at the mercy of the
folks who are constructing the site. So if they get someone who
doesn't know what they're doing (& I am not at all saying this is the
case--I think it has to do far more w/the change in accessibility
guidelines & the implementation of newer technologies), then the
business is screwed if their folks don't do it right. I've seen this
so often! I think we need to be reasonable in our requests. If the
site truly is unusable, or if we spend an hour filling out a form that
should've taken us 10 minutes w/accessibility in place, then, yes, of
course, they need to be contacted. But if all that's required is a few
judicious presses of the down arrow key, then I'm not sure that making
demands & saying they should be shuttered is at all reasonable. I
think many truly don't understand what's involved in constructing a
website, as well as the expense involved. For large institutions, it's
a drop in the bucket. For small businesses, it can spell the
difference between keeping the lights on & not being able to support
one's family. Truly liberal application of the golden rule makes the
world a better place for all to live in & let live. & the truth is
that it is possible to be 100% in compliance w/accessibility
guidelines & nonetheless have a completely unusable site, while the
converse is also at least partially true. But the truth is totally
that if folks don't avail themselves, for whatever the reasons, of the
tools at their disposal, they're going to miss out on an awful lot.

On 8/31/18, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Sometimes, a lot of fuss can be used constructively, as demonstrated by the
progression of the thread.