Re: new facebook captcha

Ron Canazzi

good luck.

On 9/1/2018 2:26 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Well gee Ron I guess you don’t want to be an advocate for the blind then huh? I don’t belong to either crazy blindness org, but I’m only 1 individual blind dude and it doesn’t hurt to contact these tech giants with our concerns regardless of our disability. We need to work with our current admin in the WH like it or lump it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 1, 2018 2:10:01 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] new facebook captcha

Hi Group,

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but with continued deregulation of the Internet and an absolute abandonment of accessibility in education by the  current crowd in Washington, I think more and more, such appeals will fall on  deaf ears.  We're simply too small a market to justify the resources to create such accessibility instruments.

On 8/31/2018 10:36 PM, Governor staten wrote:

I wrote this little ditty to Facebook accessibility. I had the wrong address. However, I have commented on a Facebook post about this captcha issue. What I wrote follows. It probalby isn't perfect in tone.

"Hello. My name is Governor Staten. I'm sending this to remonstrate with you about this new captcha that has been implemented to prevent fake accounts. I"m a totally blind user, and this captcha is completely impossible for me to solve without sighted assistance, or some other tool I cannot yet access. I use your service every single day. Some things I do on it are deemed as essential to me, my friends, and organizations I am a part of.

Why is there no alternative given to make it possible for the blind to solve this captcha, therefore proving that we are not a spam account, and also proving we are human? Why is it that not being able to solve a purely visual construct makes us not human? It is honestly quite degrading to have it implied that because I cannot solve this captcha that I could be considered a spam account and not a real human being, the same human being who is writing this email to you. This issue is urgent and must be solved immediately!!!

Someone that is as dedicated to accessibility as your organization evidently is should not be making such errors as the one mentioned above. There are a few ways in which this can be solved. For instance, an audio captcha, or asking a question that we can then answer, proving we are human. One more way that I have just contemplated is to use the code generator to provide the answer to the captcha. Have a mode in which it provides these answers if you are blind and/or visually impaired. I'm sure there are other quite inventive ways I haven't yet thought of that could be used as well.

This is all to say that something must be done at your soonest opportunity to do so. I hope that this is not long languishing in a pile that is not urgent or not looked at."

On 8/31/2018 10:23 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Yes Govsta and it sucks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10