Windows 10 1803 and file explorer sluggishness

Kwork

Since asking this on the Windows 10 list, it was also suggested that I ask more NVDA users here, so am copying below the message I sent to the other list with an additional NVDA question.

First of all, I'm still getting used to the idea that File Explore now uses ribbons rather than the menus on my former Windows 7 installation.

What's bothering me more is the sluggishness when moving around through files and folders. There seems to be between a quarter and a half second delay after each press of the arrow and enter keys. Same with the backspace.

First question: is there a way to toggle between folders and ribbons, or am I stuck? I'm guessing the answer to be stuck.

Next, is there a way to speed up movement through navigating files and folders? As far as I can tell, I have all visuals and animations turned off. The sluggishness remains, and increases over time. Starting and stopping the "Windows Explorer" process in Task Manager seems to make things less slow, but still not normal for a few minutes, then things get more and more sluggish again.

In addition, is there anything in NVDA that I can check to see if it would help in the new sluggishness? I just miss the snappiness I had in Windows 7.

If anyone knows what I can do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Travis