Actually, that works, and does make looking through snappier for sure. If a large folder, I'll press the letter where I need to go that'll be close to the file name, then use what you described to get there.

One slight correction to your instructions, and it's slight: numpad enter once both selects the folder/file  entry and opens it. I also thought it would take two to go through the selection and activation process. It scared me when a file started playing immediately. LOL!

Travis

On 9/2/2018 12:25 PM, Gene wrote:
Others who use Windows 10 will telll you more and we will see if my memory is correct.  As I recall, this is the result of UIA, a system used much more in Windows 10 to communicate with screen-readers.  I don't think you can do anything about it, as I recall what I've seen discussed here, though I may have found a partial work around.  I don't use Windows 10 so you can see.  I'll explain it after the rest of my general comments.  I wonder if JAWS has the same problem.  Others who know more technically may comment on whether this is a Microsoft problem or if it will take both Microsoft and NVDA developers to solve it.

Try this:
I'm giving desktop layout commands:
Move into the folder where you want to find a file.  Instead of down arrowing, move through each item as though it were its own object, which it is.  The command to move by object down the screen is numpad insert numpad 6.  Keep holding insert and pressing six to move through the list.  To move back, the command is numpad insert numpad 4.  When you want to open something, it will not be selected.  use the command numpad insert numpad enter.  Execute the command twice, once to select the item, once to open it.  You are doing what a mouse user does when he/she double clicks an item.  You aren't using a mouse but you are first selecting, then taking an action, in this case opening it, which is the same sequence a mouse user follows.

From: Kwork
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2018 1:02 PM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 1803 and file explorer sluggishness

Since asking this on the Windows 10 list, it was also suggested that I
ask more NVDA users here, so am copying below the message I sent to the
other list with an additional NVDA question.

First of all, I'm still getting used to the idea that File Explore now
uses ribbons rather than the menus on my former Windows 7 installation.

What's bothering me more is the sluggishness when moving around through
files and folders. There seems to be between a quarter and a half second
delay after each press of the arrow and enter keys. Same with the
backspace.

First question: is there a way to toggle between folders and ribbons, or
am I stuck? I'm guessing the answer to be stuck.

Next, is there a way to speed up movement through navigating files and
folders? As far as I can tell, I have all visuals and animations turned
off. The sluggishness remains, and increases over time. Starting and
stopping the "Windows Explorer" process in Task Manager seems to make
things less slow, but still not normal for a few minutes, then things
get more and more sluggish again.

In addition, is there anything in NVDA that I can check to see if it
would help in the new sluggishness? I just miss the snappiness I had in
Windows 7.

If anyone knows what I can do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Travis