Re: Windows 10 1803 and file explorer sluggishness

Kwork

Hahaha, I hear you. I also rely much on the insert key, so it's death would not make me happy.

Gene's workaround actually helped me quite a bit.

Travis

On 9/2/2018 12:49 PM, Annette Moore wrote:

what I do, when NVDA doesn't read the list of folders or files in File Explorer, if I don't just become impatient and restart NVDA altogether, which does solve the probem temporarily, is to down arrow through the files because some of them I know from going through them before what they are, and just entering on the one I think is the one I want. If it isn't, I just hit backspace and keep going. I've found ways to deal with this File Explorer sluggishness, but it can be a pain. And I really hate to say this because I love NVDA, but it doesn't do this in System Access. System Access has its own quirks in Windows 10, though, one of which drives me even more batty than the sluggish File Explorer list not being read  quickly by NVDA, and sometimes not even at all, does, and that is what I call the dead insert key. I can live with a sluggish file explorer; I cannot live without my insert key. Another thing that helps is simply to close file explorer altogether and reopen it. I'm trying to figure out a pattern for why it does this, but I can't seem to. It *really* does it with Dropbox, though; in fact, when I copy and paste a file or folder from Dropbox into somewhere else on my computer, I just automatically restart NVDA. I don't even mess with it. So yeah, I've figured out ways to deal with it and I can live with it, but glorious will be the day when it no longer happens. I'll celebrate! Honestly! LOL!

Annette

On 9/2/2018 2:25 PM, Gene wrote:
Others who use Windows 10 will telll you more and we will see if my memory is correct.  As I recall, this is the result of UIA, a system used much more in Windows 10 to communicate with screen-readers.  I don't think you can do anything about it, as I recall what I've seen discussed here, though I may have found a partial work around.  I don't use Windows 10 so you can see.  I'll explain it after the rest of my general comments.  I wonder if JAWS has the same problem.  Others who know more technically may comment on whether this is a Microsoft problem or if it will take both Microsoft and NVDA developers to solve it.

Try this:
I'm giving desktop layout commands:
Move into the folder where you want to find a file.  Instead of down arrowing, move through each item as though it were its own object, which it is.  The command to move by object down the screen is numpad insert numpad 6.  Keep holding insert and pressing six to move through the list.  To move back, the command is numpad insert numpad 4.  When you want to open something, it will not be selected.  use the command numpad insert numpad enter.  Execute the command twice, once to select the item, once to open it.  You are doing what a mouse user does when he/she double clicks an item.  You aren't using a mouse but you are first selecting, then taking an action, in this case opening it, which is the same sequence a mouse user follows.