Re: Windows 10 1803 and file explorer sluggishness

Kwork

Thank you Tyler. That's an answer that makes sense to me.

"This might break reading of background progress bars, but that's a small
price to pay for a working system."

I'd be ok with that, a small price as you say.

People with System Access seem to be fine as well.

Travis

On 9/2/2018 1:19 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
The fault lies with both Microsoft and NVDA.
As far as I understand it, here's the issue. With UIA, you can tell it
which events you want to be notified about, and for which windows.
NVDA decided that it was going to listen to certain events from every
window on the system, and not just the one that had the focus. That
doesn't sound too bad, until...
If another application on the system isn't responding fast enough, UIA
stops notifying NVDA of events if NVDA is listening to certain
properties of that window (I think it was name and value change).

I'll lay out a simple, real-world example:
1. I start uploading a file in WinSCP.
2. I switch away from WinSCP into File Explorer. I guess WinSCP doesn't
respond fast enough to UIA, so UIA decides not to send NVDA events for
anything anymore. From then on, until that upload finishes or I close
WinSCP, my File Explorer won't read properly, nor will alt+tab or
anything else that depends on UIA.
This particular example isn't as bad as I thought, but my UIA does stop
responding for a few seconds at a time, and it's definitely noticeable.

I've heard that the next version of Windows 10 tries to fix this.
However, if NVDA simply listened to events from the currently running
application, I think this would be a much less severe problem.
This might break reading of background progress bars, but that's a small
price to pay for a working system.
Also, JAWS and Narrator don't have this problem, only NVDA.
For more info, see issue 8535 and its linked issues:

On 9/2/2018 12:57 PM, Richard Bartholomew wrote:
Hi,

Firstly, no, JAWS doesn’t suffer from the same problem.

Secondly, though,I don’t find this slowness either with NVDA – I don’t
use NVDA constantly so maybe it is only after it has been running for a
long time that the problem arises.  However, I’ve just spent 15 minutes
going through my various drives and folders with absolutely no slow down
at all – one of the folders had in excess of 1,000 subfolders and it was
as quick as one which only had one or two in it!

The only other thing I can think of is that, possibly, it may be an
add-on which is causing this?  The reason I put this out is that I have
very, very few add-ons installed!

Good luck with identifying where the problem is and on fixing it.

Oh yes, and I’m using the latest version of Windows 10 64-bit along with
the latest stable version of NVDA.

Cheers

Richard Bartholomew