Re: accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

Tyler Wood

Hi Aman,

It has been a while since I used pulse, so things very well may have changed.

I recall only doing it once, so yes, now that you have to do it repeatedly, I would say stick with the chrome extension or app, whatever they are calling it these days.

I'd be curious how android messages works, too.

On 03-Sep-2018 7:20 PM, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi Tyler,

If I may ask, do you recall what you did the first time to make the newest version of pulse accessible? I was able to get into the web container with the simulated mouse click, but whenever I had to close the window, I would have to take the same steps again once I reopened it. That is, whenever I got or wanted to send a text message, I would have to object nav, activate an object inside the window, possibly click inside the window, and finally read and write the messages. I don't think this accessible, it takes too long to take these steps every time, though it is not a problem to do it once. How did you manage to make it keep working after the first time?
BTW, just to correct something, the site I gave out for Pulsesms was wrong. I gave pulsesms.com. The actual site is
http://pulsesms.app
Aman
-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2018 7:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

Hi,

The windows program of Pulse SMS is accessible over here with NVDA. It opens in a web looking container which can be opened from the desktop.
It also provides notifications in the notification center for texts received.

I believe it required a bit of fiddling with object nav the first go round as well as a simulated mouse click with capslock enter.

Hope that helps!

On 03-Sep-2018 6:57 PM, Aman Singer wrote:
Hi,

First, thank you for an excellent message and explanation below. I will keep the link to it as a description of the best methods of sending SMS from Windows. Your effort is appreciated.
Permit me to add a few things to what you say below,

You write:

If you own an Android phone, you can connect it with your Windows computer so that you will be able to read and write texts on WIndows.

Besides the program you mention, there is PulseSMS
http://www.pulsesms.com which I use, and https://messages.android.com/
I have heard good things about Android messages but cannot verify, from personal experience, that it is accessible. Pulse SMS is accessible through its web site though not through its windows program. The Android app is accessible with Talkback.

You write:

There are solutions to make your computer to act as a bluetooth speaker and keyboard. That way, you will be able to control your phone with your computer and make it sent texts or do anything else you'd like with it.

There are also keyboards, most popularly from Logitech, which connect to multiple devices. That is, you can have your keyboard connect to your PC and, with a key press, have that same keyboard connect to your phone. These include the k380, k480, k810 and k811 from Logitech, among others. If you have speech or braille access to your phone, you can use these boards to send SMS messages without needing to take your hands off the board or connect your computer or phone in any way. I quite realize that this isn't using Windows to send the SMS, but it may resolve the problem people are trying to solve by allowing them to use the same control device they use for their Windows machine.
Aman

,From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
mikolaj holysz
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2018 3:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible sms texting from windows with NVDA

There are a couple ways:
1. VOIP. Someone mentioned callcentric, but I think you should look for something that works with your country so texting numbers in your country is cheap. This is very country-specific, so you won't be able to get much help here, googling and trying to figure it out on your own is your best bed.
Those solutions are usually paid (cheap, but a credit card / paypal / whatever is usually a requirement).
2. E-mail gateways: This has been suggested before but yes, gateways for services outside the US exist. This is, as well, very country specific, but Googling should help in this case too. Try Googling country find carrier of a phone number (or something similar in your language). That will let you determine where the phone number you're trying to text is.
Those services aren't 100% reliable, if it's possible to move numbers between carriers and you're trying to text a number that has been moved, it may guess the old carrier. It usually uses numbering classes to guess. Numbering classes are ranges of phone numbers assigned to your carrier for use by your country's phone authority.
After figuring out the carrier, try Googling carrier name email to sms gateway. You should find a domain that you send emails to, the address should usually look like number@domain. Those exist for most (though not all carriers). If the carrier is aMVNO (a small carrier), try Googling the carrier along with a keyword like infrastructure to figure out whose infrastructure it uses. Building mobile infrastructure is very costly, so small carriers usually use the infrastructure of bigger carriers, so it's usually possible to use their gateways. For example, the scenario may look like this:
1. you have a number 123 456 7890 and you know it's an Australian number.
2. You try Googling "find carrier of phone number Australia" and find a website.
3. You enter that number and figure out it's owned by SomeLittleCarrier.
4. You try SomeLittleCarrier sms gateway but you figure out that that carrier doesn't have a gateway.
5. You find out what infrastructure the carrier is using, it turns out they're using the infrastructure of aVeryBigCarrier.
6. You look for aVeryBigCarrier's gateway on Google and find out that their domain is gateway.averybigcarrier.au 7. You send an meail to 1234567890@gateway.averybigcarrier.au and the person gets your text.
Beware that the texts you send that way include your email address and don't come from your phone number.
It's usually hard/impossible to reply to them. Some carriers provide sms to email gateways too, again, Google is your friend.

3. Windows and Android.
If you own an Android phone, you can connect it with your Windows computer so that you will be able to read and write texts on WIndows.
Those texts will then go through your phone and will be automatically send to wherever you wanted them to go. The recipient will not know that you've sent them from your computer, as they will come from your phone number. Normal fees for texting will apply, as it will be your phone sending the texts, your computer will only tell it what to send. Of course for that to work, your phone needs to be connected to the Internet.
The apps to do this are usually not very accessible but there's a really good solution called GTalk SMS. It's a bit hard to set up but if you / someone else needs assistance, reach me by email privately and I can provide help.

4. Connecting your phone to your computer. There are solutions to make your computer to act as a bluetooth speaker and keyboard. That way, you will be able to control your phone with your computer and make it sent texts or do anything else you'd like with it. I haven't tried the Bluetooth Keyboard part yet but I may if there's interest. That's the only solution that might work with the iPhone.

If you have an iPhone and want to send texts via an app, not by emulating a bt keyboard on your computer, and also want the texts to come from your number, you will need to get a mac.

I hope that answered all questions you might've had.

W dniu 2018-08-30 o 15:33, Dan Beaver pisze:
Hi,

I have been looking into doing this. However, there are so many
choices I am uncertain which to choose.

Has anyone else figured out any of the apps and services that are
accessible using NVDA to do SMS texting from a Windows system? If
so which are accessible and easy to use?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.