Re: Multi language support

Quentin Christensen

Hi Cristóbal,

In NVDA's voice / speech settings (press NVDA+control+v to open directly or from the NVDA menu, then preferences, then settings, then speech) are options for language.

After selecting the synthesizer to use, you can choose the voice and possibly variant.  Different synths work differently - some use voice and variant, some only have voice, some have different languages (or really it's how different sounds are pronounced so that it sounds correct in the particular language).

There are also options for automatic language and dialect switching when supported.

If a web page or document etc is setup correctly, it will identify what language it is written in, and in that case, NVDA is able to switch to the correct language automatically.

Otherwise, you can use configuration profiles to switch languages, and you can either have it setup so that it switches based on the program in use, or manually.

There is some information on configuration profiles in the User Guide: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ConfigurationProfiles

Alternatively, it is covered in detail in the Basic Training for NVDA module, available from: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 7:10 AM, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:

Hello list,

I’m mainly a Jaws user, but fall back on NVDA for this or that reason from time to time. I’m therefore not as well versed in some aspects of the screen reader. I am thus unfamiliar with NVDA multilanguage support.

In my case, it would be American English and Mexican/Latin American Spanish from German from time to time.

Where or how does one go about enabling language switching in NVDA? Be it on the fly or to create different voice profiles and whatnot?

Thanks,

Cristóbal

--
Quentin Christensen