From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 4:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with the blind mice mart site and nvda

I can remember when there was no such thing as a virtual buffer or browse mode or whatever the various flavors of screen readers wish to call it. It was a nightmare! I think Dr. Rick has it right--we have tools in the toolbox for a reason. To say a site is completely inaccessible when all a person wants to use is a screwdriver but they have a hammer & a wrench & pliers at their disposal, is inaccurate at best & libelous at worst. I have no affiliations whatever w/Blind Mice. None, nada, zip. But I do know Dale Campbell a little & I do remember when he had that site built. It was maybe 4 years ago? I remember he was having quite a bit of trouble then, &, although I don't know how much it cost, it had to have set him back a pretty penny. Small businesses cannot afford that every year or even every couple years, for that matter. They're also rather at the mercy of the folks who are constructing the site. So if they get someone who doesn't know what they're doing (& I am not at all saying this is the case--I think it has to do far more w/the change in accessibility guidelines & the implementation of newer technologies), then the business is screwed if their folks don't do it right. I've seen this so often! I think we need to be reasonable in our requests. If the site truly is unusable, or if we spend an hour filling out a form that should've taken us 10 minutes w/accessibility in place, then, yes, of course, they need to be contacted. But if all that's required is a few judicious presses of the down arrow key, then I'm not sure that making demands & saying they should be shuttered is at all reasonable. I think many truly don't understand what's involved in constructing a website, as well as the expense involved. For large institutions, it's a drop in the bucket. For small businesses, it can spell the difference between keeping the lights on & not being able to support one's family. Truly liberal application of the golden rule makes the world a better place for all to live in & let live. & the truth is that it is possible to be 100% in compliance w/accessibility guidelines & nonetheless have a completely unusable site, while the converse is also at least partially true. But the truth is totally that if folks don't avail themselves, for whatever the reasons, of the tools at their disposal, they're going to miss out on an awful lot.

Sometimes, a lot of fuss can be used constructively, as demonstrated
by the progression of the thread.