Re: can't watch a DVD

Well another thing you can do is go to codecguide.com and get the latest klite mega codec, vlc technically doesn't need this but the klite mega codec has been put together by various hackers and such, its basically a lot of codecs from the earlier win media player to opus, ogg, mobile and other thing, has just about everything.

Its free and while it does include a little addware, toolbars, etc you can always kill those from installing, and they havn't gone opencandy.

I'd donate though to be honest its really good.

On 9/5/2018 11:13 AM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if there is something about this DVD that is different than usual. I don't know how the newest media player may differ from other versions. So I won't describe how to play the DVD from within the program. I'll let someone else do so. You are using Windows 10. So instructions should be given for that version of the player. But any program you can use to open or play any file by pressing enter on the file name in file explorer can be used to open the file directly. You can open a Word file by opening Word, then using the open dialog in Word to open the file. You can open a file you can play in Media Player in media Player by opening Media Player, and using the open dialog in the program. If you usuallly play DVDs in Media Player and you can't play that DVD in the usual way, then the question is why. You can try to play it directly in the player, you can also download and try VLC Media Player and see what happens.

At this point, we don't know what is causing the problem. So you can experiment.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 5:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't watch a DVD

Windows media player, winamp and groove music.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:07 PM

What players are on your machine? You can play the DVD from the program, if the program you are using can play it.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 5:01 PM

No. It's in right.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:01 PM

Is it possible that you have it in upside down?

DVDs often have a ridge (ring around the hole) on both sides of the DVD.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 4:58 PM

Usually by default, unless it's disabled, it will start playing in media player when you insert the DVD.

I usually disable this.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 4:55 PM

No.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:51 PM

Can you arrow to a choice, like

Open with Windows Media Player?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 4:49 PM

I get a notification saying to choose what ot do with the DVD bu5t I don['t know how to select it.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 2:37 PM

I use VLC media player most of the time.

Although I'm not sure the "open with" method actually works in this case. I will have to test it. I usually access through the media menu in VLC.

Try Media Player first I suppose, since you probably already have that. I never use that programme but I admit VLC can present a bit of a challenge for first-time users.

Sent: September 4, 2018 5:27 PM
Subject: [nvda] can't watch a DVD

Hi, everyone,

I know I have a CD DVD drive on this computer but I can't watch a documentary my sister gave me for my birthday. Is there something I might not be doing right? I don't want to have to tell my sister that I can't watch the documentry. It's supposed to be a really good documentary about the life of Janis Joplin.

Thanks for any help you can give in advance.

Rosemarie

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.