Re: VLC media player

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Depending how she has it set if she goes to use VLC Media player it will automatically start when you insert the dvd. it will then stop until you do it through the play back menus like chapter etc then hit resume or the menu just below it.

If the dvd does not load automatically then it will need to be done through the media then open disk menu then tab a few times to play dvd.

I usually if i watch dvds and they have audio description on them i will then turn it on to listen to them that way.

Plenty of shortcuts you can use with the keyboard.

In the later version of this program it will if you have google minis etc let you play music to your home group then let you play pause etc with your voice. But you are not going down that track.

For it to play even more formats i use the k - lite mega codec pack.

Some dvds are not structuredproperly and you may not be able to get them going mainly the very older ones.

Gene nz

On 5/09/2018 11:41 AM, Gene wrote:
Since the DVD is in an unusual format, you probably didn't see any options in the open with dialog because nothing on the system supports that file type.  You won't see open with options for an unregistered file type.  In such a case, you can try playing the file directly within a program but it probably won't play. But you can try in case something went wrong and it can play the file even if it isn't registered because of some error or incompatibility. In other words, it may play the file anyway.
Since you have VLC player installed, you can try another player, but you might as well use VLC Player for this DVD.  Now that you have installed VLC Player, if it can play that file type, you should see an open with menu and VLC player as a choice, perhaps the only choice.  If you don't, try playing the file from within the player.  You should see an open with option for a registered file type, but just in case something didn't register properly or there is some other problem preventing you seeing the option in the open with menu, try playing the file from within the program.

Those who use the player can tell you how to do this if you need to know.  I have almost never used it.