Re: NVDA and FireFox Update

Don H

I know you did not say there was not a update just saying there is a update out there which this person encountered.  I have found it a good practice to never do a update that pops up while browsing.  Always update through the normal update process for what ever needs updating.  I think I am agreeing with Gen here, least I think I was.

On 9/5/2018 7:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I didn't say there wasn't an update.  I'm saying that the person with the initial question said it came while on a web site or from the web site or something like that.  I should have said in my last message that it appears the site had hacked third party advertising.  But we don't know just what the person saw when the update occurred nor where it was seen.  We'll have to get more information.  But based on what was said, it sounds as though the update appeared to be the web site telling him there is one which would never happen if it was legitimate.

From: Don H
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and FireFox Update

Just checked for firefox updates and got a update to version 62.0 64 bit.

On 9/5/2018 6:37 PM, Gene wrote:
So assuming the person who asked the question was using the defaults, third party advertising on the site had been hacked and showed a milicious update that wasn't an update at all.  But we'll have to know more before drawing any  conclusion.

I'm not trying to worry the person but if that is the case, he should thoroughly check or have his machine checked for malware.

The site Dictionary.com is a reputable site but third party hacked advertising is becoming increasingly common.  It's so common that it was written about as a serious threat in the New York Times two or three months ago.  and there may be a hacked advertisement on that site now.

Which is why people should use an ad blocker or for even better protection, block scripts.  But an ad blocker should protect you from most such threats.

Gene