Re: Options in Firefox 62

Gene

I don't know when you updated before now but this interface has been in Firefox since version 60, perhaps five or six months ago.  Tab around slowly and listen to everything in every field as you tab when you hear a field that sounds of interest, because this is an unfamiliar dialog.  You will see to combo boxes, one right next to the other.  Experiment with them.  I don't use the interface to know what the relationship is between them.  The first one you see has three, not two options.  the second one only has two options if you haven't selected the custom URL item in the first one.  If you select custom URL and then tab to the second one, you have a field for typing an address.  If you move again, you have a use bookmark field. 

I can't discuss tabs because I don't use multiple tabs and I've never worked with that part of options. 

As far as backing up bookmarks, You don't do that anywhere in the main window.  Indeed, I wonder if you need to use tabs at all, since all the pages you want to work with can be bookmarked.  Until you understand how to work with tabs in the new version, you may want to book mark them. 

Here is how you save bookmarks.  It hasn't changed.
In the main window, use the command control shift b.  This opens up a library window that deals with bookmarks.  I can't tell you about working with the window in general.
If you open the menus in that window, you will see that they are completely different from the menus in the main window.
Right arrow after you open the menus to import and backup.
Down arrow to backup and press enter. 
You are now in a dialog that is like a save as dialog.  Keep the extension on the filename.  If you don't want to change the name don't change anything.  If you want to edit the name and leave the extension, move backward until you are on the period.  Then use shift home to select the name and press delete.  Then type whatever name you want with a path to a folder as in any save as dialog edit field for working with a filename.  Aside from what I told you about conveniently keeping the extension if you want to change the name, work with the save as dialog as you would in general.
After you finish, close the Window with alt f4.  You are backin the main window.
Put the file you created on the computer you want to work with.  Open the window dealing with book marks before as earlier described.
Open the menus, right arrow to backup and restore and down arrow to restore.  Press enter.
Deal with this dialog as you would any open dialog and put the bookmarks into the copy of Firefox you are working with.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 2:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] Options in Firefox 62

Hi all, sorry for this longish post!

Firegfox updated to version 62.0 for me yesterday and I've noticed the options page seems very different in layout and I'm finding it very difficult to navigate.

There are 5 main categories, General, Home, Search, Privacy & Security, and Firefox Account. It is possible to tab through those sections in browse mode but very few options seem to be present. Using object navigation seems to work better, but again there seem to be many of the options in the old layout totaly missing in this new layout.

I used to have startpage.com set as my homepage and that has been replaced my a blank page and I can't find what used to be a text box in which you could enter the address of the page you desired for the homepage. There is now a combo box which you can select blank page or Firefox.com and I can't figure out where to specify a different URL.

One thing I used to do on a monthly basis was to copy the addresses of all the tabs that I open on starting Mozilla ... I open about 30 tabs at startup and this is not the post to comment on that! (They are pages I need every day at the moment as I register for all my university course matters.) In the old layout I could press a button to choose all open tabs to be reopened and then it would place all of their URLs in a text box (possibly as the homepage choice though I can't remember if that's which box it was) from where I could copy all of the addresses and paste them into a text file before deleting the entries and changing it back to startpage.com. I badly need to do this now becuase I'm setting up a new laptop and want to paste my currently open tabs from my old laptop into the new installation of Firefox, but I can't do this without individually copying each web address in turn and opening it as a new tab in the new installation. The button to use current pages seems not to be present in either browse mode or object navigation.

Any suggestions for how to navigate this new layout of the Firefox options or to transfer settings including bookmarks and homepage would be greatly appreciated. In general I am very happy with Firefox and don't want to change to an alternative like Waterfox or Chrome. Hopefully you can tell me I'm just missing something stupidly simple :)

Thanks,

Giles

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.