Re: Talking about Tor: Is there any tutorial to use the programme?

Thats the official definition.

Unoficially it seems to be anything installed on the computer which is not certified by microsoft, varisign or other previder.

The os for example is never malware, microsoft office documents can be but microsoft office is not malware.

Anything else and everything else is fair game no matter where it comes from unless x company sues the security company to stop it.

On 9/9/2018 8:28 AM, Jackie wrote:
FYI, the most commonly accepted definition of malware as used by
security pros is software that is installed on a user's computer w/o
their knowledge or consent.

On 9/8/18, Antony Stone <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it> wrote:
I think there are better ways of expressing that than saying "every software

package you use is malware".

Also, why should an anti-virus scanner claim that something that simply
hasn't
been signed by Microsoft is malware? Firstly, it has to give a name to the

virus or Trojan that has been found in the package, and secondly any scanner

which kept giving false positive results would quickly lose reputation to
the
competition, who search for actual virus code rather than assuming "not
signed
by Microsoft" = "suspicious".

Antony.

On Saturday 08 September 2018 at 22:15:45, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Its not me, I was simply pointing out that most software doesn't have a
valid security signature which is why antivirus stuff has issues with it.

That was my point.

Only certain software does, my other point was with all the certs being
hacked/lost/released early or whatever that maybe it is not the best to
use especially since a lot of normal non corperate users may not be able
to afford it though I have not seen any proof of this.

On 9/9/2018 8:08 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
What on earth is your definition of "malware", Shaun?

Antony.

On Saturday 08 September 2018 at 22:05:05, Shaun Everiss wrote:
To be honest, every software package you use is malware.

And its not because its malware, ages back microsoft developed a
certification system based on signatures.

While thats used a lot, its either to expensive or only given to
certain
companies, microsoft uses it, norton does, some other manufacturers of
high profile use it but most of us don't.

If your file has a known signature, ie is microsoft software then its
fine.

If not it needs to be trusted.

With the degree of certs being dropped similar to people losing their
keys quite a lot not to mention all the ssl issues over the past year
or
so, my view is that we should simply scrap the siganture security
system
or at least bring the cost down to a point where people would actually
use it.

On 9/9/2018 2:40 AM, Mallard wrote:
lol! I wouldn't believe there's a virus in the browser... rather, I'd
think there's a tendency on the part of some antivirus software to
see
a lot of open sourcr or somehow "non-standard" software as
potentially
harmful.

360 Total Security, which I'm using as an antivirus, kept blocking
NVDA, and it took me a good deal oftime and effort to make it believe
that NVDA is no malware...

Thanks Gene for your version of Tor. No hurry. Upload whenever you
have time.

Ciao,

Ollie
--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it means it doesn't work.

Please reply to the
list;
please *don't* CC
me.