From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2016 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Virtual Recorder

Your sound card has different settings such as line-in and microphone. If you set the sound card to a source, that is what you would be recording with it. If you set it to microphone, you would only record the microphone. Your sound card may not have a line-in setting. Many laptops don't have line in jacks and you need to use another sound card, such as a USB external sound card to get a line-in jack.

Virtual device doesn't use your sound card. Windows 7 and higher has something that can do what I described using the virtual device setting. I don't have the technical knowledge to discuss it further to any extent. The point is that it will record anything you hear through your sound card but your sound card is not what is being recorded from. I should add that I don't know if you can record things your sound card isn't set to play. But the point is that when you use virtual device as the setting, you can directly record your screen-reader. The microphone doesn't have to be used. You can record an Internet stream. You can record music and you speking using a microphone at the same time. I haven't played with it enough to go into detail about how you might turn off the internal microphone so that you would only record your screen-reader and, for example, and Internet stream. Others who have used this feature or the same feature in another program may be able to provide much more information.

I'm not sure where using the both setting would be an advantage.
I haven't used virtual device and other options in the program enough to discuss how to get desired results as to what sources are recorded. Perhaps all sources are recorded when using virtual device and you can't change them. In that case, if you want to record an internet stream, and not record the internal microphone, you might have to stop the microphone from functioning by plugging a plug into the microphone jack with nothing connected to it. But I'm speculating and just providing an example of how you might get around the problem. It is not necessarily the only or best way.

Also, XP users should know that the virtual device method can't be used in that version of Windows. The program can be used to record from the sound card but XP doesn't support the virtual device method of recording.

Gene