Skype and navigation, I see no headings and so on.

John Isige

So I just installed Skype 8 because I figure I can always go back to the app version if I don't like it. It must have had my credentials stored from the app version because it signed me in right away after it got done with setup. Here's the screen I see, tabbing through it.

Chats", which is tab one of four, it informs me I have no unread notifications.

Sort by time, which is a menu. New chat, which is also a menu. Then I get a list of chats, and if I arrow through them, it reads like this: "person 1, button, some of the message to person 1 and if it's long enough, if I arrow to the next line, more of the message to person 1 as a button and so on, person2 and message as a button, Etc."

Continuing with tab, a start tutorial button, A check account link, "my info, active" which is a button, my skype username also as a button, a "more options" menu, "search skype" which is a button, and "use dialpad", which is also a button.

Did I do something wrong? Where are all of these headings and edit fields and such? I looked in settings but I didn't really see anything about appearance or accessibility or what have you. I thought maybe it was in the list of chats, but no web commands work there either. Focus mode makes no difference. It just doesn't seem to be a web-like interface at all. It's certainly different from the app version, but nothing like what I expected from people's descriptions. This is an install of "Skype-8.30.0.50.exe", right from www.skype.com. I can arrow around in the list of chat messages and select with the normal Windows commands, that's nice. The window is just titled Skype but when I alt-tab to it, it says "Skype preview document", which seems to imply that NVDA thinks it's not your ordinary window.

I assume if I hit enter and/or space on anything labelled "button" in the chat list it will open that specific conversation so I can see more than just the most recent message. Yep, and in there, I get headings for days. But I can't figure out how to close the chat, escape didn't work, nor did ctrl-F4, and alt-F4 just closed the Skype window, but it should still be running in the background, because I told it to in settings. Yep, it says it's in the system tray anyway. The duplicated messages are kind of weird, if I arrow up through the chat it has a message, then a profile button, then the message again.

Anybody got any tips? I can navigate it but the web stuff doesn't seem to be working, except in a specific conversation, and like I said, I can't figure out how to close the conversation I opened. I'm sure I'll do more dumb stuff with it later.