Re: A security change in Chrome you would be wise to correct

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

That’s crazy.

How many tabs do you have open before that happens?

I’m mostly still using Firefox and, bar periodic irritating crashes, am really happy.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: September 13, 2018 4:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A security change in Chrome you would be wise to correct

Hi,

Chrome opens each add on in a separate instance.

If I close one process chrome.exe, it may report that ublock origin has crashed, etc.

However I haven't seen these popups that you speak of.

What I am seeing, though, is chrome using ridiculous amounts of ram. Right now it is managing to take a machine with 16 gb of ram to its knees rather eloquently.

On 13-Sep-2018 3:49 PM, JM Casey wrote:

Definitely sounds like malware to me, especially if Chrome is opening instances all on its own/even when closed. I have seen malware behave in this manner many times.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: September 12, 2018 8:07 PM

No, it's not addware.  There is a setting in chrome that allows those popups about tech news, and my son knows which one it is, but I personally haven't been able to find it in my copy of chrome, so I need to ask him again which setting it is to turn it off.  The news titles pop up in the system notifications area on the pc.  The setting in chrome turns those pop ups off, so they won't do that anymore.  I've looked through my settings, and couldn't find which setting was causing it, but I'll ask him again and repost here after I get it turned off. 

Those don't bother me as much as the flippin' login to my apple drive that keeps popping up every half hour or so, which seems also to be triggered by my first opening of chrome after a reboot.  I'd really like to turn those off.  I'll log in to the silly thing when I want to use it, not until then, so stop asking me already.

On 9/11/2018 11:56 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

I only run Microsoft’s MRT and Security Essentials.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:54 AM

Adware.  What antimalware programs do you run?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:21 AM

With regards to Chrome,

Has anyone else had ads popping up when Chrome is open?

After I close Chrome, I have to bring up the task manager and close several more instances of it to keep the pop-up ads from happening.

Chrome loads itself with multiple instances for more stability, each instance for a different process.

But I have gone through settings and seemingly turned off anything related to pop-ups and notifications, and it still happens.

Thanks.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:01 AM
Subject: [nvda] A security change in Chrome you would be wise to correct

Given the increasing popularity of Chrome among blind users, this article from Kim Komando is important.  The Chrome designers are implementing a change which is very bad for security, dumbing down the product for asthetics.  Let's hope the protests from security experts and others cause them to remember that they are not supposed to do harm, as part of their founding principles.

See this article:

Gene

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.