Re: Review Cursor

Quentin Christensen

Hi Andy,

NVDA works slightly differently to Jaws in this regard, however the overall aim is the same: to get to controls on screen that you can't access with the regular keyboard.

NVDA uses "object navigation" to move between "objects" on screen.  An object might be the ribbon in Word, the toolbars, the edit area and the status bar.  You can go "into" an object and see the objects it contains.  The ribbon in word for instance, contains the home ribbon, the insert ribbon, the view ribbon and so on, and inside each of those ribbons are the individual options like making text bold, or underlined, or change the style.  You can access the ribbon with the keyboard anyway, but it is still a good example of objects (hopefully).

The review cursor lets you read the text within the current object.  In the Basic Training for NVDA module, I use the example of the "winver" dialog which displays information about the version of Windows you are using (press the WINDOWS key, type WINVER and press ENTER to open it).  You can move up and down through the lines or word by word or character by character - like you can with normal text, but since it isn't accessible with the normal keyboard commands, it uses different commands.

I thought it best to give you the overview of those two features there rather than the keystrokes, since there are quite a few, and they vary between desktop keyboard layout and laptop keyboard layout.  I would strongly recommend the Basic Training for NVDA to give you a more complete idea of the review cursor and object navigation.  You can find the book for purchase in electronic format, audio or hardcopy Braille from our shop: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

You can also read a sample chapter, which happens to be the one on the review cursor from the link on: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Chapter 5 in the User Guide does give all the relevant keystrokes, although without the in-depth explanation and step-by-step activities that you get in the training material: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#NavigatingWithNVDA

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:54 PM Andy <wq6r@...> wrote:
Does NVDA have a mode similar to the JAWS cursor? if so, how does one invoke it?

Andy

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager