Re: firefox crash with NVDA 2018.3

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear List

I am not sure which FirFox I am using, but I updated NVDA yesterday morning and I am running Windows 10.

Ever since I updated NVDA, FireFox crashes the minute it is opened.  I couldn’t even read the “What’s new” document in FireFox.

The interesting thing is that I updated my boyfriend’s NVDA yesterday and FireFox works perfectly on his laptop, which also runs Windows 10.  His FireFox may be an older version as the desktop shortcut is still “Mozilla FireFox”.  Furthermore, he has more AddOns installed on his NVDA than I do, therefore, I would like to go out on a limb and suggest that it is a combination of NVDA 2018.3 and the newest FireFox that causes the problem, as the crashes only came after I installed the new copy of NVDA.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, 19 September 2018 03:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] firefox crash with NVDA 2018.3

Hi Mary,

No, all feedback is good, and indeed it does indicate what I suspected - there likely is some kind of issue at play, but it isn't affecting EVERYONE who uses Firefox, or even everyone using 32-bit Firefox.  Interested to hear if you do have any issues though.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:

I think I’m going to muddy the waters. I also have the 32-bit version of Firefox, and I just upgraded to the newest NVDA. I am running the latest stable windows, which I think is 1803? And sure enough, after installing NVDA, I had Firefox already open. When I altered to it, I got a crash. However, when I started fire fox again, it worked fine and has continued to do so. It’s only been a couple of webpages. And I still need to reboot the computer after the installation of  nvDA. But it’s interesting that aside from the initial single crash, it worked.
Mary
> On Sep 18, 2018, at 4:51 PM, ann <tate886@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>
> I also had major issues with the newest NVDA and Firefox.
>
>
> I am running a 32 bit Firefox, latest version, on the 32 bit version of windows 10. Firefox crashes each time it's launched.
>
>
> But, after reverting back to the previous version of NVDA, this never occurs, not once.
>
>
> ~Ann
>
>
>
>
>> firefox crash with NVDA 2018.3
>> From: Clive Pallett
>> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:55:52 EDT
>> Hello everyone,
>> I updated NVDA to 2018.3 and tried to launch firefox.  The crash reporter screen came up and I tried to start a new session without result.  I have reverted to NVDA 2018.1.1 and firefox loads normally.  It also does when running NVDA 2018.2 which I was running before.  I have the installation file of the former version on my laptop so used that.  I noticed someone else having issues with firefox with NVDA 2018.3.  Is this a problem with firefox or with NVDA?
>> I will continue with NVDA 2018.1.1 until I can download the latest version and hope the issue with firefox is sorted.
>> Best wishes,
>> Clive Pallett
>
>
>
>

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.