From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: September 19, 2018 3:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Waterfox works with NVDA

The quantom engine itself is not a bad thing.

But the fact to fix security they block direct access to windows well thats debaitable.

Put it this way, 16 bit stuff especially old dos stuff trying to access the hardware directly.

There can be issues with windows because of that.

Before that, software used to get in other software's way.

The issue now though is that just about everything ie registry, standard windows controls and accessibility libs need direct access, now just about every addon author has to write their own interface.

Thats why firefox quantom is totally inaccessible.

Its a security trade off there is no solution, I understand why they do it even aplord them for doing so but its a trade off.

Waterfox will use classic addons as well as the new quantom engine and the web extention apis.

So in short we should be able to run both libraries eventually.

Sadly older addons as long as they will be available like noscript will continue but newer ones will not work but eventually waterfox will go quantom.

But will continue using classic libraries as well as the new ones.

So in theory we should be able to run most of everything.

Think of windows 10 linux or vmware or talking dosbox or something like that.

There will probably be a few limitations.

Its unknown what those are.

However this is a community developed project based on the mozilla code without all the extra mozilla addons etc.

Sadly its also indicated it can't stay in the happy place it is now because the current engine has limitations.

With thunderbird quantom, addons are just not accessible at all.

Thats fine because I never used them and I find most of the rest of the engine actually usable.

I'd like the addons to work but chances are I wouldn't be accessing them anyway.

On 9/19/2018 7:11 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes I have to say this is a cleaner faster browser altogether from the
64 bit standpoint but anyone running 32 bit windows cannot use it, as
its been optimised for the 64 bit system and that may well be why its
snappier generally. They say they are inheriting all the classic add
ons so we assume from that that they have no intention of going Quantum,.

They are seemingly attacking any security issues through other means.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-