Re: Questions about NVDA 2018.3 emoji support.

John Isige

Yep, I uninstalled the addon in fact because I figure I don't need it anymore precisely because the support is built in now. I don't necessarily use them a ton myself, even when I had the addon, but I do occasionally just for the fun of it, and noticed those issues, so thought I'd comment. If NVDA is going to deal with them, I don't see why it wouldn't read all of them.

On 9/19/2018 2:19, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Do you also have the add on, if so disable it and restart and try it again.
Having said all of that imogees leave me cold as seldom do the descriptions help me understand why the heck somebody used them to start with, but that is a social and syntactic issue not an nvda one.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Isige" <gwynn@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:31 AM
Subject: [nvda] Questions about NVDA 2018.3 emoji support.

So I was playing around with emojis, and I've noticed that some of them aren't read, and some of them are read twice. To reproduce, go into the emoji panel, I'm hitting Windows-; (semicolon) in case that matters, and tab to people. I land on "woman, 1 of 175". Arrowing right I hear "woman, man, 3 of 175, girl", and so on. Now arrow back to the left until you get to woman. Hit the down arrow, and you'll get "older woman". Keep arrowing right until you hear "12 of 175". If you arrow right two times, each time you hear "man with turban" and the rising tone of a question mark. I'm pretty sure that later in the list there are three of the same thing in a row at least.

I don't know where the emoji naming comes from, if they're specified in NVDA source or they're drawing on something internal to Windows or what, but I thought I'd mention it. Incidentally, Narrator reads this just fine, I think 3 of 175 is a girl, 12 is a prince, the two things that show up as "man with turban" are a woman and a man wearing a turban, respectively, and so on. Narrator's kind of slow, if I arrow too fast I get duplicated names instead of new ones, but I don't think that's what's going on with NVDA. My other question was whether NVDA reads emojis now, the answer is yes if you read by line but not by character apparently, because I just added and deleted some from this email. So that's that solved I guess.

Sorry I didn't point this out in the RC phase, things have been crazy around here and I didn't really get a chance to do much with them other than run them and see that they didn't break anything.