Re: Hardware Synthesizers Was: Re: [nvda] Jackie and all - - Update -- NVDA saying "Less Than" before everything I read and do

Jackie

It also can for musicians who need the decent soundcard for other
stuff, but, hw synths are rapidly going the way of the dodo bird.

On 9/20/18, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:
The main purpose to using an external synthesizer, (which most folks seem
to miss), is the fact that if you use an external synthesizer,
your computer doesn't have to perform the speech generation, and
especially on a low resource pc, this can make a world of difference as to
how responsive your system is. If the cpu doesn't have to spend time
rendering the speech, it will be free to do other things like calculating
that huge spreadsheet, or converting that audio file for you. Admittedly,
this isn't as critical as it used to be, what with cpus generally having
cpu cycles to burn these days, but for those who are on low end hardware,
or just want to leave all the available computing power to the
applications and the os, using an external synthesizer makes plenty
of sense.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

I used to use hardware synthesizers years ago: Dectalk Serial, double
talks
ISA and Triple Talk USB.  Now of days, I find it easier if indeed you need
separate sound source for screen reader and system audio to use a cheaper

sound card separate from the system audio.  I am using a sound blaster SBX

Figo! that cost less than 40 dollars and run it into a cheap set of
speakers
for the screen reader and the onboard Realtech sound chip that sound good

when separate from the sound blaster.  This is much cheaper and works just
as
well as any hardware synthesizer that costs hundreds of dollars.

On 9/20/2018 11:53 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
The point is this. Did it work with the previous version of nvda. If it
did
then plainly you need to alert the writer of the add on and see if they
can
fix it. I suspect the person has vanished by now, but its worth a try
looking at the add ons internals for a contact. This is why we try to get

add on authors to submit them for testing as this sort of issue can be
alerted during the beta testing and the add on modified to work. The
Tripletalk was controlled by special characters as I recall, you could
also
get in and alter some of them, but it was a long time ago and I doubt if

the utilities that we had then will work on current versions of windows.

16bit software refused to run at all on a 64 bit machine.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-