From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] contact you off list

I get copies of my own messages on this and all other lists I have been on.  therefore, it is reasonable to assume that this is the expected behavior in general.  It may be that those using GMail may not get copies of their messages and I suspect the person who asked this question is a GMail user.  A lot of GMail users have complained about this in the past.  Checking the send me a copy option may solve the problem for Groups.io lists but not for other e-mail lists when using GMail.

Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:22 AM

This will be my last message regarding "the footer issue" until or unless Mark comes back with something indicating he's made a change.

First, I will apologize to folks, because my memory of "the footer cluster" only applies to HTML formatted e-mail messages from Groups.io.  This is the default format, and the vast majority of traffic I see from all groups when I'm in individual message mode comes to me this way.  That being said, if a user changes the "send format" that they use to plain text email under groups.io the "Reply to Sender" link/function will not be available at the end of plain text messages.  I have never been on any group, including this one or any of the blind and low-vision technology groups, where the bulk of the membership in said group has gone in to their account settings on the Groups.io website and set their e-mail send format to plain text.

Mark has said he will look into trying to create a function in the plain text messages that would allow for the "Reply to Sender" function, or something quite similar to it, that's part and parcel of each and every HTML e-mail that goes out from Groups.io to be available in plain text messages as well.  My guess is that this will be at or near the bottom of the priority list, since relatively few users choose to set their send option to plain text so relatively few recipients ever get a plain text message from a Groups.io group.

If you have an individual message from Groups.io that does not have a "Reply to Sender" link after the main body of the message the only reason that should occur is if the originating party has tweaked their Groups.io account preferences (https://groups.io/account?page=prefs), Post Preference item to "Plain text."  As an aside, I have seen someone recently asking why they did not get a copy of their own message when they posted.  That's not the default behavior, either, since it is reasonable to believe that most are not interested in seeing what they've written themselves.  There is a checkbox at the bottom of the preferences page for, "I always want copies of my own messages," and it is unchecked by default.

           ~ Bertrand Russell