Re: NVEDA sort of half locking up when working with firefox

Jacob Kruger

Problem with IE is that on this windows 10 machine, it has been crashing on/off, all by itself for a little while - most likely some or other service pack, or OS update made it 'unhappy', and that's why have hardly ever been trying to use it for a while now.

Don't really remember it having much of the same speech-freezing effect on NVDA, but, last time really used it consistently was a couple of months ago.

I do also use google chrome at times, but, just prefer firefox over it most of the time, and part of that issue is if I keep on retyping in address bar, it's inconsistent when it comes to trying to focus on page contents.

Also, as a web developer, parts of firefox work better for me when playing around with web content source code, javascript, etc., but, that's primary since haven't really been much of a chrome user at all up until now.

Also, the reason I specifically upgraded to firefox 46 was since this was starting to re-occur in firefox 43 recently.

Like said, don't think it's an issue with NVDA itself, but, some or other combination of things that's started happening recently.

And, since I often enough install, uninstall, reinstall various other bits of software, I generally also reload my operating systems from scratch roundabout every 6 months or so, just because, so might consider that in the not too distant future as well, in case, but, would still like to know what's causing something like this, just in case.

Am also trying a couple of other clean-up fixes, but, will only mention them later on if they seem to make a noticeable difference.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: 31 May, 2016 11:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVEDA sort of half locking up when working with firefox

It may be a virtual buffer overload.  If it is, the question is whether that is the fault of NVDA or Firefox?

I suspect this kind of obscure problem is one where you won't get meaningful help other than the sort of work arounds I'm suggesting below. 

I would suggest testing with Internet Explorer to see if the problem persists.  If the problem doesn't persist, you may have, at least temporarily, to use Internet Explorer or Chrome.  If the problem doesn't persist when using Internet Explorer, that implies that the problem is either Firefox or the combination of NVDA and Firefox.  It would take more experimentation to try to determine that. 

It appears that you are saying that this problem didn't occur when you used Firefox 43.  That makes me suspicious that the problem is with Firefox.  But that's just a suspicion.

I just realized that you may also be able to work around the problem by using the ESR Extended Release version of Firefox.  That version remains the same for about a year as I recall but receives security patches when the standard version does.  If it is using an older version such as 43 and if the next update is awhile off, that may solve your problem while allowing you to receive security updates for a time.  And when the ESR receives a full upgrade, by that time, Firefox might have solved the probem.

Gene
Gene
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:38 PM

Gene, again, primary issue is NVDA going silent, and refusing to respond, even if I alt+tab to another window, for a while at least.

In other words, almost seems like it's experiencing a form of overload populating it's virtual buffer/document review version, or something.

I was not blaming NVDA as such, but, just trying to figure out what could be causing this combination of a form of silence, and was wondering why it seemed almost like firing up windows narrator un-froze everything, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"
Sent: 31 May, 2016 10:06 PM

At this point, you haven't done anything to determine whether the problem is with NVDA or Firefox.  Of course, you can try running Firefox with various add ons disabled in NVDA but I would think the best first test would be to use a different screen-reader, such as a JAWS demo with Firefox.  The newer versions of Firefox may have problems and experimenting with disabling add ons may just waist time if they aren't the problem. 

I've seen complaints about the new versions of Firefox here for a number of weeks.  I haven't seen a lot, but I've seen them. 

Gene
> Had firefox 43 here, since before new version of webvisum, you couldn't install un-signed add-ons, but, also now just upgraded firefox to 46, and this was since NVDA 2016.1 and 2016.2 RC1 both seemed to be locking up at times, while working in firefox, with various sites' content.
>
> Have also tried turning off/on the F123 add-on, in case it and NVDA wre interfering with each other, but, doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> Could also maybe try uninstalling both F123 and webvisum add-ons, in case, their form of interaction, etc. might be causing hassles, but, thought might as well ask here if anyone has ideas on what to try?
>
> And, when I say locking up, at times, it won't help alt-tabbing away from firefox to another app, since NVDA will stay quiet, but, funny enough what seems to help the quickest is to launch narrator, using windows key + enter key, since this is on my windows 10 64 bit machine.
>
> Do you think there might be something useful in the NVDA log - NVDA + F1 right after NVDA starts speaking again?
>
> Alternatively, any other thoughts/suggestions on what to try get rid of this - besides browsing web content often enough, my primary job is as a web developer, so I have to spend a lot of time testing/trying out various bits of my own code output in a browser, and firefox is my favourite for that part of it thus far, although I do, at times use both google chrome and IE11 - that one crashes on it's own way too often to be any form of feasible alternative, but, that's probably due to it not really being meant to be used under windows 10 as such?
>
> TIA
>
> Jacob Kruger
> Blind Biker
> Skype: BlindZA
> "Resistance is futile, acceptance is versatile"
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.