Re: I have a couple addons that are several years old that I want to keep, so I'm guessing I shouldn't update NVDA at this time...

Gene

Is there any reason to update?  Just because an update, I'm not talking about security updates, but a program update that introduces new features occurs, that doesn't mean you have to update.  Usually, you can see information about what is new in a program on the web site.  People would save themselves trouble, perhaps a lot of trouble over time, if they don't just reflexively update. 

In terms of NVDA, there are some major technical changes coming and being worked on in the program.  Many add-ons that work currently won't work in future versions unless they are updated by the developers.  I don't know how many will be.  I don't know when this will occur to a significant extent.  it already has regarding certain add-ons. 

I would suggest reading about what's new and deciding whether to update NVDA, not just updating because there is one. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 6:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] I have a couple addons that are several years old that I want to keep, so I'm guessing I shouldn't update NVDA at this time...

Hey,

I've been hearing a lot over the grapevine about issues with the latest
NVDA being incompatible with various addons due to changes, and I have a
couple synth addons that are several years old, as well as an old
version of the Emoticons addon. I've been pretty anxious about messing
with computer stuff lately, and the last time I went to update an addon
I had to remove it from the Appdata because uninstalling it in NVDA
didn't work. I haven't updated since 2018.1 and part of me is scared to...

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.