Re: CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Gene

I agree that some products or services cost more than they should.  Some services and products cost more because they must, some because a higher cost is charged than should be.

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Hi Gene,

I think you have to examine each item on a case by case basis.  For example, the talking microwave ovens that cost 4 times what the same non talking version might be considered exploitative. A technician once told me that to make a microwave talk probably adds about 20 dollars to the cost.  Even if you allowed for a 100% mark up that would only make the average talking microwave about 100 or 150 dollars rather than over 300 dollars.

However, paying a few dollars monthly like with captcha be gone is hardly a huge burden even to those on fixed income.

On 9/24/2018 1:56 PM, Gene wrote:
The problem isn't just with this one service.  The underlying assumption of the argument is that any service a blind person needs to should be provided free because to charge anything exploits us by making us pay for something sighted people don't pay for.  Can you imagine where blind people would be if this had been followed throughout history?

In an ideal world, this might be the case.  But as a practical matter, it isn't and calling people exploitative who identify a need and fill it for a cost is logically invalid and not reasonable.

NVDA, which is the list we are discussing this on, wouldn't be anywhere near as good a screen-reader if for profit screen-readers, in competition with each other hadn't accumulated decades of innovation and experience in how to access the computer efficiently.  NVDA built on all this experience.  That is not to take anything away from NVDA nor the very important need it fills.  but if people don't acknowledge what it is built on, that doesn't give credit to the important, vital actually, role for profit screen-readers played in the development of NVDA.