Re: CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Gene

I agree that some products or services cost more than they should.  Some services and products cost more because they must, some because a higher cost is charged than should be.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Hi Gene,

I think you have to examine each item on a case by case basis.  For example, the talking microwave ovens that cost 4 times what the same non talking version might be considered exploitative. A technician once told me that to make a microwave talk probably adds about 20 dollars to the cost.  Even if you allowed for a 100% mark up that would only make the average talking microwave about 100 or 150 dollars rather than over 300 dollars.

However, paying a few dollars monthly like with captcha be gone is hardly a huge burden even to those on fixed income.

On 9/24/2018 1:56 PM, Gene wrote:
The problem isn't just with this one service.  The underlying assumption of the argument is that any service a blind person needs to should be provided free because to charge anything exploits us by making us pay for something sighted people don't pay for.  Can you imagine where blind people would be if this had been followed throughout history? 

In an ideal world, this might be the case.  But as a practical matter, it isn't and calling people exploitative who identify a need and fill it for a cost is logically invalid and not reasonable. 

NVDA, which is the list we are discussing this on, wouldn't be anywhere near as good a screen-reader if for profit screen-readers, in competition with each other hadn't accumulated decades of innovation and experience in how to access the computer efficiently.  NVDA built on all this experience.  That is not to take anything away from NVDA nor the very important need it fills.  but if people don't acknowledge what it is built on, that doesn't give credit to the important, vital actually, role for profit screen-readers played in the development of NVDA.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 11:14 AM

This is silly. So, who’s the arbiter of right and wrong?

He has a skill. He put it to use. Everyone’s got to try their own hustle. Nothing’s stopping anyone else with similar  programming abilities to try to crack the same nut out of the kindness of their own heart. I mean, please, go right ahead.

Don’t hate on the man for identifying a need and trying to create a solution to address it. He abandoned it for whatever reason. Be it lack of interest, maybe he priced it too high, maybe he just doesn’t follow through on stuff. Whatever.

But this notion of right and wrong is again, silly. I do agree that it sucks that we as blind folks have to resort to all these workarounds for access to the same stuff as sighted people and of course it’s a bigger issue of demanding fundamental accessibility for such an essential process of web browsing, but until somethings done, this is how it goes.

Cristóbal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Darren Harris via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 8:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

No, nobody was forcing anybody to pay for it I’ll grant you that. But the fact that somebody was willing to make money out of that, I’m sorry but that is wrong! So if it has gone, then that makes me quite happy!

On 24 Sep 2018, at 16:14, Cristóbal <cristobalmuli@...> wrote:

Nobody was forcing you to pay for it.

Let’s not fire up the torches of hyperboly yet either.

Cristóbal

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Darren Harris via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 8:11 AM

I’m glad it’s gone. Why should anybody have to pay to solve captures? It was nothing more than exploitation!

On 24 Sep 2018, at 16:07, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@...> wrote:

The only trouble with this solution is that I use a “headless” computer.

I could hook it up to a TV, but I would have to unplug some stuff and find an extra HDMI cable.

But I have used that app on other computers that I had a monitor connected to, when I was setting up the BIOS.

So for most folks, that is a good solution.

Glenn

It is a NUC PPYH, a small portable desktop, and I don’t normally have a monitor connected to it.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Desert Moon
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2018 6:32 PM

Hello All,

When I am faced with a CAPCHA challenge, I will make use of the Be My Eyes iPhone app. Just ask the volunteer to tall me what's on the screen. Safer than using an unknown add-on.
--
Desert

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.