Re: CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Gene

I don't know how common this is but its interesting to note that the old DOS Word Perfect 5.1 program had a menu way of doing things that blind people generally don't know existed.  Even back then, at least some DOS programs provided a more Windows-like interface for those who wanted to use it.

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] CAPTCHA Be Gone abandoned also?

Hi Gene,

I think this gets back to one of you Gene's pet peeves.  Many people using screen access technology simply don't get good instruction.  I have used in my lifetime: Vocal Eyes, JAWS For DOS, JAWS for Windows, Window Eyes and NVDA.  I have also used Orca for Linux.  When you get down to it, there isn't a huge difference between all the DOS based programs (now mostly defunct) and all the Windows based programs and even to a degree the ones for Linux.  I have had no great difficulty adjusting and moving rapidly from one to the other.

This is because I had a good foundation for just how DOS, Linux and Windows work.  I also had the advantage of a US Air force Drill Instructor--a personal friend of mine--who once he got the concept of how screen access technology worked, was able to give me valuable pointers on just how
Windows was laid out and just what was happening on the screen when I was navigating with the screen readers.  This process took me about 3 weeks and I have never looked back.

On 9/24/2018 2:50 PM, Gene wrote:
I'm nnot talking about exact methods and I don't know how proprietary they are or how generally known such methods are.  I'm talking about ways of doing things such as MSAA which is now largely replaced as I understand it by UIA and techniques that are in public view.  Quick navigation keys when using browse mode, b for button, h for heading etc. aren't proprietary and anyone can use a commercial screen-reader that uses them and see them described in documentation.  Concepts like the JAWS cursor or the Window-eyes mouse pointer are in plain view.  Commands for seeing formatting information is another example.

My point is that a lot of work and development went into for profit screen-readers which is in plain view and NVDA wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced as it is if these decades of work hadn't been done.

Sent: Monday, September 24, 2018 1:16 PM

Hi Gene,
How can we be sure that NVDA is built on the same foundations as
commercial screen readers? To me, that doesn't make logical sense. I'm
not saying outright that it isn't the case - maybe I'm misinterpreting
or misunderstanding something here.
For one thing, commercial screen readers, by the very nature and
definition of the term, are closed-source, and thus any methods of
access would be kept a closely guarded secret. Let's face it - they
would know that competitors would be dangerous to the future of their
own operation, especially given the price tag. This is true for most
large companies, why should screen reading manufacturers be any different?
Secondly, NVDA uses open-source components to provide access to braille
and in-built speech (I'm referring of course to ESpeak), and
closed-source but publicly documented API's to provide accessibility
communication between system, applications and user. Commercial screen
readers need separate drivers that chain onto the video drivers and
access screen content that way. To me, that suggests that the way NVDA
works is totally different than its commercial predecessors.
Which is more reliable is, of course, subject to opinion. As far as I am
aware, each method will have its own advantages and disadvantages, but
that's another discussion entirely.
Cheers,
Damien.

--