of mine.
Best,
Felix
Am Mi., 26. Sep. 2018 um 16:29 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:

I often have nothing read when I open a folder in Windows 7. The information you provide may allow a technically interesting discussion about the problem, but as a practical matter, just down and up arrowing once will place you on the first item and it will be spoken. It may be that pressing the space bar will also cause this item to be spoken, I don't recall if I've ever tried it. both actions will select the item as well. Also, first letter navigation or typing more than the first letter of a name will move you to the folder or file and cause it to be read.

I can't comment about whether this problem occurs in Windows 10 because I don't use it. I suspect it does.

If a folder only has one item in it, I don't know what down and up arrowing once does. I have no such folders.

From: Felix G.
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Tracking focus in Windows Explorer

Hello,
I know I'm probably being pedantic here but I'd like to ask if anyone
else has observed the following:
This happens in Windows Explorer. When I arrow to a folder and hit
enter, in most cases NVDA will announce the first item in the folder,
which is correct behavior as it has focus. However, in some cases it
will remain silent. Then, if I hit NVDA+F1 to get info on the current
navigator object, I get the following:
Developer info for navigator object:
name: ''
role: ROLE_LISTITEM
states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
hasFocus: False
Python object: <baseObject.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at 0x051C1CB0>
Python class mro: (<class 'baseObject.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class
'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>, <class
'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
location: None
value: ''
appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 2324) at
address 52f4d70>
appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 984864
windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
windowControlID: 0
windowStyle: 0
windowThreadID: 0
windowText: u''
displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x3c49500 at 53194e0>
UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
UIA runtimeID: (2324, 224670096, 0)
UIA providerDescription: [pid:2324,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent
link):Unidentified Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA patterns available:

A similarly enigmatic object is reached when hitting enter on an empty folder:
Developer info for navigator object:
name: ''
role: ROLE_LISTITEM
states: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
isFocusable: exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
hasFocus: False
Python object: <baseObject.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA object at 0x05453290>
Python class mro: (<class 'baseObject.Dynamic_UIItemListItemUIA'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIItem'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.ListItem'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.UIA.UIA'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>,
<class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class
'documentBase.TextContainerObject'>, <class
'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class
'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
location: None
value: ''
appModule: <'explorer' (appName u'explorer', process ID 2324) at
address 52f4d70>
appModule.productName: u'Betriebssystem Microsoft\xae Windows\xae'
appModule.productVersion: u'6.1.7600.16385'
TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 984608
windowClassName: u'DirectUIHWND'
windowControlID: 0
windowStyle: 0
windowThreadID: 0
windowText: u''
displayText: exception: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
UIAElement: <POINTER(IUIAutomationElement) ptr=0x3c495c0 at 546fad0>
UIA automationID: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA frameworkID: DirectUI
UIA runtimeID: (2324, 162798944, 0)
UIA providerDescription: [pid:2324,hwnd:0x0 Main(parent
link):Unidentified Provider (unmanaged:EXPLORERFRAME.dll)]
UIA className: Exception: (-2147220991, 'Ein Ereignis konnte keinen
Abonnenten aufrufen.', (None, None, None, 0, None))
UIA patterns available:

The empty folder behavior is not that much of a problem for me but the
one I described first bothers me to some degree as it is
nondeterministic, that is, it will seemingly randomly show up, leading
me to believe a folder is empty when it isn't.
Best,
Felix