Re: A friend needs info on screen readers history for her thesis

Sky Mundell

It's still around. Though it's not popular in America, Canada, but it is
popular in Germany as that is where it is made. What is very odd about this
screen reading market is that it seems to be controlled by the big blind
organisations. JFW is what I like to call the world wide screen reader as
in, it is the one that is world-wide. Everywhere you go, every institution
you go into, JAWS is there. And yet, we have all of those other screen
readers that struggle through market share and I have a feeling that the
screen reading market has been controlled. In fact, I remember a post on a
mailing list a few years ago, You could probably find it in the mailing list
archive, where somebody said that if we were to get rid of the government
sponsorship that we would probably see more competition between JAWS,
Supernova, NVDA, System Access, and, when it was alive back then,
Window-Eyes, in those institutions, and the guy said if we successfully got
rid of the government sponsorship then JAWS would have to play by the same
rules as everybody else, and he said what could happen is somebody in a low
income bracket would purchase something like SA, or use the free NVDA,
someone in a mid-income bracket might choose Supernova, and someone who was
on a high income bracket would go for JAWS, and, Window-Eyes, as, this was
2011 when that message was posted on the mailing list. I do hope that NVDA
will get into big government institutions, as right now, I am a little
saddened at FS right now. Basically, they are going to a subscription base
model for authorisation, in JAWS 2019. The way it is going to work, is in
the US, you will be able to purchase a home annual licence, but you will
have to keep renewing your subscription to keep JAWS authorised. Eventually,
all of the SMA's etc. will be in the portal, and everything will be
subscription baste for jfw. And I believe the price will be $60 per year.