Re: O.T.: A friend needs info on screen readers history for her thesis

Arlene

Hi there: I've used screen power in the late 90s. Had to give it up.
Windows was coming leaving dos behind. My dos program and windows 95
were not compatible and it interfered with my class assignments. good
program

On 9/29/18, Clive May <clive.may@...> wrote:
Hi

Vert Plus a DOS screen reader. I was using it in the late 190s.

On 28/09/18 22:20, Sky Mundell wrote:
And just to add to this, Window Bridge, was the first screen reader to
ever
come out for windows. It came out around June of 1992. In the beginning,
their were about 10 windows products, which today, has been reduced
today.
The 10 windows products that you saw in the market were:
Window Bridge
Syntha Voice, released on June 1992. Now gone.
Out Spoken for the mac and windows, Berkley systems, Alva access group,
released in 1994, now gone.

Dolphin Hal, now called Supernova
Yourdolphin.com

Screen power, Telussensory, now gone.
Artic Winvision, also gone.
ASAW, also gone.
JAWS
www.freedomscientific.com
Released January 20, 1995 First developed for DOS in 1989. Created by
Henter-Joyce, which became Freedom Scientific in 2000, which became
VFO-group in 2015.
Window-Eyes, now gone as of May 15, 2017.
Release date: October 16, 1995, until May 15, 2017.
Started out as Vocal-Eyes for DOS on February 15, 1990, Which was a year
before I was born on that same day. created by GW Micro. Vocal-Eyes was
the
top DOS screen reader. Then, in 1995, GW Micro released Window-Eyes on
Monday, October 16, 1995. On January 14, GW Micro and Microsoft released
version of Window-Eyes free with office. This version worked with Office
2010 or up, and it came with two voices. Allowed you to purchase DecTalk,
Eloquence, Vocalizer, etc. Then, on May 1, GW Micro and AI Squared
merged.
Then, on June 14, AI was acquired by VFO.

System Access:
Released date: 2005.
www.serotek.com
NVDA:
www.nvaccess.com
Release date: April 2006.
Developer: NV Access
I hope these notes help your friend with the history. Thanks, Sky.