Re: Windows 10 App Essentials on Windows 10Ver1703 (64-bit) build 15063.296

Can a link be sent so I can install the latest version that supports my Windows 10 build?

On 10/1/2018 10:27, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Ah, this was partly my decision…

Windows 10 App Essentials supports a given feature update (1703, for example) for a limited time. This is in accordance with Windows as a Service where new operating system release is scheduled for twice a year. Typically, I support a given feature update for at least 12 months but no more than 18. Support also means supporting NVDA releases released at that time.

The latest version of the add-on that’ll run happily on Windows 10 Version 1703 (Creators Update/build 15063) is 18.06.2, as 18.07 requires Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update/build 16299) and later. At the moment support for Version 1709 is scheduled to end this December with 18.12.x.

To Brian V: I bet Noah’s school uses Windows 10 Education, which will receive support until October 2019. I’ll make that clear on Win10 Forum once Version 1809 era kicks in.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Noah Carver via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2018 6:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials on Windows 10Ver1703 (64-bit) build 15063.296

Yes, I am aware of this. Unfortunately, this is a school machine, therefore I can not invoke the update process myself. Therefore I was wondering what add-on version I should install until such time as the local IT person performs updates on our machines.

On 10/1/2018 09:07, Brian Vogel wrote:

Noah,

Based on the title of your topic it's most likely NVDA telling you that your Version of Windows 10 (1703) is out of date.  That version loses all support from Microsoft in 8 days.  You should have moved along to Version 1709, followed by Version 1803, long ago.  You need to update Windows 10 very, very soon.  Ideally, you should take a full system image and separate user data backup of your current system before doing so.

You can update your Windows 10 by going to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page and invoking the Update Assistant with the "Update this PC" button.  If you need a newer version of Win10 App Essentials after doing that, this is available on the NVDA Add-Ons Download Page.   I would also suggest you visit the NVDA Add-Ons Under Development Page and snag a copy of the Add-On Updater add-nn, which monitors the add-ons you have installed to see if a newer version becomes available and will allow you to update immediately if you so choose.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another.  Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.