Re: Accessible antivirus programs

And for those dabbling "on the dark side" no protection program of any sort is guaranteed to be effective.

I even used Microsoft Security Essentials for years when people constantly declared, "It's crap!!," and never had a single detection nor infection.  The fact of the matter is that most infections do not "sneak on" to a system but are invited in by direct user action.  There are three posts/topics written by a security expert who writes under the name Quietman7 on Bleeping Computer that are must reads, in my opinion, if you want to understand your role (for any you) in securing your computer:

What you must understand regarding computer security  (just this single message, not the whole topic)

Best Practices for Safe Computing

Reflections on Antivirus/Antimalware Testing & Comparisons

           ~ Bertrand Russell