Re: Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition

Gene

This article deals with business users of Windows 10 but my guess is that many of the issues, at least in terms of stability and bugs in new full upgrades, refer to individual consumers as well. 

And, you will see that there is an actual term, I believe Microsoft uses  and promotes it, "Windows As A Service."  I strongly maintain that Windows is an operating system before it is a service and my view is that Microsoft has this backwards in Windows 10.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2018 6:20 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition

I doubt admitting bugs is a new culture at all.  These releases are released six months apart.  Either too many changes are made atoo close to the time of release to test for properly, or there is an insufficient testing base.  If two full upgrades a year are too much to test properly, then only havbe one.  Windows users, I think, would much rather have properly tested releases without the problems, some of which cripple the systems of many users, when many of these releases are made. 

Windows is releasing versions too quickly, it is my guess because the emphasis has changed from stability to cramming new features into Windows to entice people to use more services Microsoft makes money from.  Why did Microsoft give Windows 10 away for a year?  Actually, they aggressively badgered Windows users to upgrade.  They didn't do so for humanitarian reasons.  They did so because Windows is far more a means of promoting Microsoft services than it used to be. 

I suspect the problem is both that new services are added too quickly to be tested properly and that the sample for testing in the insider program is too limited.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2018 5:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition

Hi!
Software is never perfect, and I, for one, prefer this new culture of
admitting bugs. I don't have enough information and experience in
developing software to judge whether or not their testing procedures
are adequate, which is why I choose not to judge.
Best,
Felix
Am Sa., 6. Okt. 2018 um 12:11 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:
>
> Maybe these full updates of Windows, released every six months, and which are, in effect, new full versions of Windows, aren't sufficiently tested before release.  How many update cycles have wee seen where there are major problems with the release?  Maybe the insiders program isn't large enough or maybe no or insufficient effort is made to make sure those testing cover a wide enough variety of different brands and models of machines.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Austin Pinto
> Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2018 2:40 AM
> To: nvda
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition
>
> Please wait for some days the update is withdrawn due to a major bug
>
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018, 1:04 PM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:
>>
>> I would suggest using the mediaCreator that Microsoft offers on their web site. It is a lot faster than the update assistant.Normally it is used for creating a useable flashdrive to boot and install from but it works just as well when run from your download folder. also, if you find yourself in need of doing a clean install of windows this is the tool to use. i have done a clean install with no sighted help.
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Rosemarie Chavarria
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Sent: Friday, October 5, 2018 4:59 PM
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition
>>
>> Hi, Abbie,
>>
>>
>>
>> I didn't have that problem when I was upgrading. I don't understand what could be happening.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rosemarie
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Abbie Taylor
>> Sent: Friday, October 5, 2018 3:51 PM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 Fall Creators Edition
>>
>>
>>
>> What about files being lost? Someone on another forum said all his files in his documents folder disappeared after he upgraded. I know it's a good idea to back things up before upgrading, but I'm wondering if anyone else had this experience after upgrading.
>> --
>> Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
>> http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
>> http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
>> abbietaylor945@...
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.