Re: NVDA Snapshot types

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Apologies if you've asked this before and I missed it :)

The new release process is that Alpha builds come out quite regularly, every few days or sometimes several in a day, like the old "next" snapshots did.

The key point about Beta releases is: "
  • Starting from 5 weeks before final release, tagged beta releases will be published periodically, allowing the wider community to try out the betas. At this stage code originally introduced through master will have been tested for at least 2 weeks, thus the beta builds can be seen as beta quality."
So, if you are interested in testing the latest "bleeding edge" code which gets updated regularly, then you want the Alpha snapshots (with the usual caveat that while they usually work fine, they may not be completely stable or work in every situation - in which case please let us know, and also keep a stable build handy).

If you want a more reliably stable experience but still want to test out new features before the masses, Beta should have you covered for that and you'll start to get those about 5 weeks before a new release is due (the last beta cycle was longer, being the first time we'd changed to that system).

All the snapshots are available from the snapshots page at: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

If you'd like to read the release process in full, you can find it here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ReleaseProcess

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I know I asked a similar question before, but looking at the  email list of
different snap releases I see alpha and beta, yet on the snapshot web site
it seems only alpha have updated, the beta is showing  rc versions of the
last stable release. Am I missing something here, or are betas not actually
on the site?
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.