From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Cc: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Snapshot types

Hi Brian,

Apologies if you've asked this before and I missed it :)

The new release process is that Alpha builds come out quite regularly,
every few days or sometimes several in a day, like the old "next" snapshots
did.

The key point about Beta releases is: "

- Starting from 5 weeks before final release, tagged beta releases will
be published periodically, allowing the wider community to try out the
betas. At this stage code originally introduced through master will have
been tested for at least 2 weeks, thus the beta builds can be seen as beta
quality."

So, if you are interested in testing the latest "bleeding edge" code which
gets updated regularly, then you want the Alpha snapshots (with the usual
caveat that while they usually work fine, they may not be completely stable
or work in every situation - in which case please let us know, and also
keep a stable build handy).

If you want a more reliably stable experience but still want to test out
new features before the masses, Beta should have you covered for that and
you'll start to get those about 5 weeks before a new release is due (the
last beta cycle was longer, being the first time we'd changed to that
system).

All the snapshots are available from the snapshots page at:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

If you'd like to read the release process in full, you can find it here:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ReleaseProcess

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io

I know I asked a similar question before, but looking at the email list
of
different snap releases I see alpha and beta, yet on the snapshot web site
it seems only alpha have updated, the beta is showing rc versions of the
last stable release. Am I missing something here, or are betas not
actually
on the site?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk