From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@nvaccess.org>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keyboard

NVDA+4 toggles speak command keys. That won't announce if you just press
SHIFT and let it go, but it will announce "CONTROL+S" if you press those
keys.

You can also access that option from the "Keyboard" settings
(NVDA+CONTROL+K to get there directly, or via the NVDA menu).

In order to practise the keyboard, you can also use NVDA's "Input help"
mode. Press NVDA+1 to turn Input help on. From then, you can press any
key or key combination and NVDA will announce what you have pressed
(including things like shift on its own) and what NVDA function it performs
(if it's an NVDA keystroke). The keys won't do anything however, so if you
press the WINDOWS key, NVDA will report it, but the Windows Start menu will
not open.

Press NVDA+1 to turn input help off again.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <
godfearer@comcast.net> wrote:

I am working with a NVDA newby. how does she set NVDA so that the control
and shift keys are spoken. she wants this because her keyboard is not
standard.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager