Re: Why does NVDA find not find "cars" on this page?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Specifically I'm not sure, but could the design of the page perhaps hide parts when you are not in that area, making them invisible to anything but a site search?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:30 PM
Subject: [nvda] Why does NVDA find not find "cars" on this page?

https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/search/cto?auto_make_model=convertible

If I use a straight browser search it finds the word, "cars," in the navigation frame on the left in the "cars & trucks - by owner" link, and it is a link, as well as in the "background text" in the edit box that shows the same phrase in light gray until you start typing in a search term.

Sometimes when I use the NVDA find it finds it, other times, it doesn't. It seems to depend on my having interacted with the page, but that content does not appear/disappear whether I've interacted with the page or not.

I seem to have this happening more frequently lately with both NVDA and JAWS (yes, I know that this isn't the JAWS group, but wanted to note it). I have always encouraged my clients to favor the screen reader search function over the straight browser search as it takes into account controls that a straight search does not. But lately it also seems to be not finding things I can clearly see are present on the screen. It's a mystery to me why this is.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot co-exist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows that this is untrue. . .

~ Bertrand Russell

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.