From: "Rick" <softwarethatworks@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 8:31 PM
Subject: [nvda] No voice, Power Point Slide Show view on Laptop with HDMI connected, NVDA restart fixes problem

I have 2 high-end Lenovo laptops with nVidia graphics cards. Both are
running Windows 10 Professional and Office 365 desktop apps. One computer is
brand new while the other is 3 years old. These are work computers, so
Windows and Office are updated within the last few months and not
necessarily running the absolute latest updates. I am running the latest
released version of NVDA and have no addin present. I have Microsoft Speech
API Version 5 as my voice.

If connected to projectors using the HDMI port, putting a Power Point
presentation into slide show mode (by pressing the F5 key) I lose all speech
output on that particular window. It doesn't matter if I am using the
internal speakers or am connected to a wired or wireless headset. Alt
tabbing to other windows and NVDA speaks just fine, but not on the slide
show window. Moving from slide to slide produces no speech. If the HDMI
connection is not present, NVDA speaks just fine in slide show mode.

If I now restart NVDA with Power Point still displaying the slide show and
the HDMI connection still present, everything works as expected. NVDA reads
the slides as I navigate from slide to slide, using the internal speakers or
connected headset.

I tried restarting NVDA after booting the computer to see if it was a
problem with the autostart of NVDA completing prior to other parts of the
system completing initialization, but it still failed to speak in slide show
window until restarting NVDA after launching Power Point.

Rick