From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 1:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Snapshot types

While I don't disagree with you, most of the errors and issues which have required additional RC's and stable releases, have been from issues which do not affect everyone, but for those they affect, they would manifest very quickly.  Which is why we get these reports almost immediately after releasing the new version.

I think then, that the issue is not so much the length of time of the beta cycle, but how do we get more people, on different systems, to try the betas earlier?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 7:24 PM Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Yes I have a portable running on Alpha, but I seem to recall that before the
renaming you also allowed beta snaps to be put up much earlier, as five
weeks sounds a short time for the great unwashed like myself to have enough
experience of a running everyday version to find the more obscure things. I
think the release record of the last version shows this to be true as there
had to be many more iterations of the RC and finally a couple of updates to
stable. If you look back when the beta length was longer you find fewer
versions after a stable was issued.
 In a way I think many programmers underestimate the time needed to fully
test increasingly complex code.
 I used to know a person whose first test of any software was to randomly do
stuff on the keyboard and you would be surprised how often such an
apparently random act would thro up a problem with the software crashing.

Just my opinion of 68 years on the planet.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-