Re: determining the color of a text in Excel with NVDA

Mary Otten

I love your common sense, Brian. Let us hope that such commonsense prevails over the thinking of the  folks who think that all we ever need is just exactly what the sighted people get. And if that’s ups cure well too bad.
Mary

On Oct 22, 2018, at 6:21 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I cannot believe, seriously, that anyone who deals with Excel spreadsheets on a regular basis that have as their primary purpose doing numeric calculations could ever propose that having a screen reader read just what's on view for a numeric cell, when what's on view would be interpreted by a sighted user in one and only one way, and a way that is completely the opposite of what's on display if the conventional use of "red" for negative is intentionally ignored.

The numeric value of a numeric cell is essential if the data is to have any meaning that everyone, blind or sighted, will interpret correctly.  Since the blind cannot possibly interpret color in the same way as a sighted person would for red values in a spreadsheet, what's essential is that they are clearly given the actual information that the color represents to a sighted user.  It's just that simple.